Countdown to surgery.. Jan 6

anewleaf
on 12/27/09 8:52 am
Hi,
I'll be having Gastric Bypass Jan. 6 and am so excited and a little nervous, too.. I'm nervous about pain and about life after bypass.  I feel "prepared" but am still nervous, knowing full well that some things are worse when you experience them then when you hear about them.  

Had great momentum from April-August, okay Sept and Oct, not so great Nov and Dec, definitely had a hard time with the holidays knowing this would be my last holiday pre bypass.. I didn't go totally nuts, but did make very poor choices.  I am looking forward to this new year and a new start.

Did anyone here bring anything to the hospital with you to keep yourself busy?  I don't do great with being alone, it will be my first time away from my daughter for this long and while I look forward to having "rest time" am very worried about my coping while I'm there.  I plan on bringing a book and a portable dvd with some movies.  Maybe I'll be too out of it to even notice I'm there??  Not sure?  Would love any advice you all have regarding the hospital stay. 

Thank you!
J
DwindlingFlower
on 12/28/09 12:24 am - Quincy, MA
Good Luck with your surgery, I am sure you will do fine.  As far as the hospital stay goes, I did bring a book which I wasnt interested in reading, but I also started a journal, just blotted down anything I was feeling from moment to moment, and that helped me tremendously.  St. E's where I had my surgery had tv's in the rooms I recovered in so there was always that, and I will admit it was somewhat entertaining to watch the antics of the looney geriatric patient across from me in the step down unit, that passed some time as well LOL> other than that, I was fine with the time in the hospital.  If you have any more questions, throw them out here....

DwindlingFlower

thinsomeday
on 12/31/09 12:53 am - webster, MA
so excited for you!!! 
i was pain free after maybe 2 weeks or so.  i did take the perocet to fall asleep  - hated the way they made me feel during the day.  the pain isn't all that bad really - you will have a pain control pump in the hospital so there is no need to feel pain there!  use it!
you are so right, new year, new start! 
i brought my husbands ipod and magazines and didn't use them at all.  even people mag - my fave and didnt' get a chance!  it all goes by so fast really.  between dr's, nurses, visitors, mindless TV and sleeping - you don't have much time to do anything and i was too out of it to read thanks to dilaudid!  that is just my experience.  and if you are up and doing nothing, you should be walking.
during my stay and when i was readmitted, i had issues with my roommates TV being extremely loud - don't be afraid to speak up - they can give you earplugs or them headphones.  i didn't even bring anything else except chapstick, underwear and a toothbrush i think.  they don't have you shower,  wear the hospital socks, don't bring your own slippers - they will just get all germs from the floor (that is the nurse in me talking!) and i just went home in the clothes i wore in.  low maintenance is the way to go.  i left all my jewelry and watch at home. i didn't want to have to worry about my stuff.  once i got changed into my johnny and all that, i bagged it up and sent it home with my husband - even my glasses! 
shoot out any more questions you have too!
k
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views