Fuming over biggest looser!!!!!

tauntonredsox33
on 12/8/09 10:13 am - Taunton, MA
I can't believe they just bad mouth'd gastric bypass surgery  this is what the Dr said on national television!!!  People your size meaning....OVER 400-500LBS!!!!!! you have a
1 N 10 CHANCE OF DYING IN THE FIRST YEAR....... This satistic maybe true but.....
 HOW ABOUT ALL THE LIVES IT SAVES !!!!!
A$$$hole!!!!!!!!    Dr Robet Huizenga  YOU SUCK!!!!!!

Just my opinion!!!!!
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
RazzyRobyn
on 12/8/09 10:56 am - West Boylston, MA
I was not happy that he provided that statistic without appropriate information to support that infomation. I am very disappointed in them for allowing that comment.

However I firmly believe Dr. Kelly at UMASS has a great program and that all of the paitents of his program are taken care of and will not be part of that statistic.

Happy Holidays to you!!
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Just Brooke
on 12/8/09 8:41 pm
What a tool........

HutchBiorn
on 12/8/09 10:36 pm - West Springfield, MA
Is he saying we will die withing the first year of having surgery or people that big in general will die even without???
Starting weight 309

Don't try to confuse me, I was born this way.

joe01880
on 12/12/09 9:05 am, edited 12/12/09 9:13 am - Wakefield, MA

I have only seen a few shows of the Biggest Loser, cant decide if its expoitation or insperation. If the guy was going to quote such an statistic he should have given a full explanation. Inluding how many people who have had the surgery may have died if they didnt have it!

Im 5'10" tall, weighed 334 prior to the two week pre-op diet, had sleep apena, diabetes taking 200 units of long acting insulin twice a day, upwards of and sometimes over 200 units of fast acting insulin a day plus 1000mg of Metformin twice a day and high blood preasure medication, pumping myself full of chemicals to stay alive. I was killing myself. Two days pre-op came off all insulins and BP came under control in the hospital and my primary took me off BP meds a week after comming home, i am down 99 pounds (from my day of surgery, 105 total) as of this morning, go to the gym 4 times a week and feeling pretty damn good, yet like so many the Dr. on TV chose to dwell on the negative and not the positive effects of WLS, glad he's not my doctor!

Joe Was Here 

Failure is not an option!

rockysmom
on 12/12/09 12:10 pm - Dartmouth, MA
I have a hard time with the biggest loser --  I think it gives false hope and makes people feel bad about themselves when ultimately they can't lose or the weight comes back.  (I mean mostly those watchin at home  - but probably for the people who get on the show as well.)  Who can possibly live like that - with that kind of excercise and diet?  I do find myself watching the damn show, though -- like watching a car accident -- you know you shouldn't look, but you just can't hep yourself! 

I've lost 60 pounds dozens of times in my life, but it always came bac****il I had the surgery.  I'm finally beginning to actually believe that I can stay at this weight forever.  What a great feeling - to lose the fear! 
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/09 10:20 am
 I've heard that all this "all natural" weight loss on the show isn't always as it appears.  Many of them use diaretics right before weigh in (and producers just look the other way).   The edited version isn't always a glimpse of the reality that is behind the scenes.

Paul L.
on 12/18/09 3:51 am
Yeah, because we all have time to put our lives on hold and exercise with our own personal trainers for 16 hours a day. This show creates more false hope and  the concurrent guilty letdown when once more someone tries diet and exercise and regains all the weight plus 10 lbs. Fighting genetics is next to impossible. If we still lived in a hunter/gatherer society where food was scarce, we would be genetic superstars, able to store fat to tide us over between meals. In this society where food is plentiful, surgery is right now the best option to a long and healty life. I'm just sorry that the magic pill didn't show up before I had my RNY...
High - 277
Surgery - 239
Now - 217
Goal - 145

Paul L.
on 12/18/09 3:57 am
Oh, and Dr. Kelly has had only two deaths in over 1200 operations, and both were patients with severe comorbidities. He did my lapband in 2004 and my revision last month, and both went off without a hitch. (hated the lapband by the way.) Picking the right surgeon is the most important part of the process.
High - 277
Surgery - 239
Now - 217
Goal - 145

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views