Have any of you in MA tried for the VSG in MA?

MrsClaus09
on 11/19/09 9:52 am
Just wondering what your experience(s) have been.  I'm starting my program now and am hoping for the VSG...prepared to appeal if need be.  Anxious but not going to get my hopes up that high.  Thanks to anyone who can share their experience.
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/09 2:05 am

I went back and forth between the sleeve and lapband.  The surgeons had great things to say about both.  I have BC/BS and they told me they do cover the Sleeve if I wanted it.  Ultimately I decided against the cutting and wanted the less invasive procedure.  I also decided I wanted something that was reversible in the event of complications.

I've heard alot of great things with the sleeve though.  Good luck on your journey!

C J
on 11/20/09 11:58 am - Franklin, MA

Mrs. I'm still in the begining stage of VSG - My surgeon said I'm a great candidate (generally healthy aside from my weight) but it is still considered experimental in Mass. He said he's been successful in getting the appoval in the past. He'll submit the request to my insurace co (BCBS HMO Blue), if it's denied , we'll appeal, if it's denied again, we'll have an "outside agency" review the case" I left his office on Monday when he said I'll work on getting you the approval you work on losing 10lbs and I'll see you in January - I've got my Psych and Nut. appointments on December 14th.

I had a Lap-Band in July 2007 and it slipped and was removed in March 2008. VSG is the best way for me to go - as you know VSG is the first step of a two step procedure that REALLY works and the 2nd step (RNY) is not always necessary.

So it doesn't hurt for us to try - the more approvals and successful surgeries performed in MA the better the awareness of the procedure... hopefully it'll make insurance companies this procedrure is necessary!

I'll keep ya posted as I learn more!
~Christine

MrsClaus09
on 11/21/09 12:25 am
That's great Christine...best of luck to you on your journey.  I've just started mine as well.  BIDMC has also been successful getting some approved and also does the surgery.  So, we'll see where this goes!  I have my nurse/med dir appt coming up next week.

I have a friend who got the LB in early 08 and who is now also thinking of having it removed.  I know it's not a popular opinion but I truly believe that VSG will become the gold standard of WLS in years to come.  The MA expert panel on WLS hasn't updated their findings since the end of 07 so I think a new report is due some time near in the future.  And, wouldn't it be great to find out that all of MA no longer finds the VSG experimental! 

Good luck to you...and, please, let me know how you make out!  If we're both lucky enough, we'll be able to share reindeer tales (sorry, couldn't resist)!  Have a great weekend.
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

Just Brooke
on 11/20/09 9:16 pm, edited 11/20/09 9:16 pm
I thought surgeons in MA weren't doing the  VSG. I, personally, could not do it if it was still 'experimental' ..I'd try one of our surrounding states and find a surgeon who's been doing it for a while.

MrsClaus09
on 11/21/09 12:35 am
Some surgeons do the VSG in MA.  Some insurance cos will cover and some people are self pay.  Many end up in appeals though and I wouldn't be shocked if I was one of them.  We'll see.  The MA expert panel on WLS has classified VSG as investigational but also made mention that if ruled out, for safety or preference, VSG may be considered...well, based on their last full report in 07.  I hope to, eventually, see this change!

The thought of an "investigational" or "experimental" surgery is not the easist but, the way I'm looking at it, how will it ever get out there if people aren't doing it.  And, when given the options between VSG, RnY and LB, VSG was/is the only surgery I'll consider.  :)
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/09 8:57 am
Lahey Burlington will do them although most people have trouble getting insurance approval.  They said that the few patients that have been able to get the sleeve have been very very successful and they anticipate it will become a more preferable option for alot of people in the future (when it's not considered experimental and more insurance companies are will to approve it).
Donna C.
on 11/22/09 6:11 am
I had my VSG done on 10/20 by Dr Kim at Tufts in Boston.  At 1 month out, I have lost 37 pounds.  And a total of 84 since August 2008 since I had to lose some before surgery to get the surgery.  So far I have not had any problems and my surgery had no complications.  Dr Kim did my surgery with Dr Shikora because of my hernia that they were worried about but turned out not to be a problem and Dr Shikora told me Dr Kim did the surgery herself, he jus****ched.  So far, I have had no hunger since i woke up from the surgery, dont know how long that will last, but hopefully a whole lot longer.  The whole program at Tufts at the Weight and Wellness Center is excellent.  The nutritionist I see is Kerri Hawkins and she is just a wonderful woman.  I dont come to this board often, but if any one has questions feel free to PM me. 
MrsClaus09
on 11/26/09 10:50 am
Wow, Donna...sounds like you're doing great!!!  Keep up the great word and please update on your progress!! I'm hoping to also have the VSG in MA and am just getting started with the process. 
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

kelly B.
on 12/28/09 3:24 am - NC
I have BCBSMA as well and wondered if there is an update to this thread. I am at the beginning of my journey with initial Dr visit scheduled for Jan 2010. I am anticipating the appeal process as well. It would be great to know what you have learned so far.

Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views