Starting Point

boston_bbw2000
on 11/18/09 6:57 pm - north attleboro , MA
Well I am a discouraged.  I spoke w/ my PCP today Re: surgery.   I have mentioned it in passing before but felt I really needed to pin her down a little as we didn't seem to be making any progress.  So she calls today and gives me the names of some doctors a few of her patients had used.  She said honestly she was on the fence about which method is best as both bariatric & lap band both have pros and cons and wasn't comfortable suggesting either.  She wants me to do the research on both, go to a few meetings, meet with some doctors and make the decision myself.  I know as a PCP this is not her area of expertise but I guess I was hoping for a little more direction, like maybe the name of a doctor who does both ?   I am a member of Tufts and she also suggested calling them for a suggestion.. like they are going to make this an easy process..  any suggestions on where to begin?   I did read I need to be enrolled in a "you can change" program with Tufts for 6 months as part of their pre-approval and I need an MD to register me for it, so I guess the surgeon would do that or maybe I go back to her with a name?
Pull up your big girl panties and deal with it ! 
LisaBC86
on 11/18/09 7:44 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Don't be discouraged - you're on the right path. I had liitle to do with my primary when it came to this process - all we spoke about was his opinion on it - and he generally does NOT recommend it - although for me he said go for it .

I think most surgeons do do both and I would imagine Tufts does - go throught their program, research, learn what you need to - this is all GREAT advice !! You have to do all that before making a decision. Start the process - you are in the right direction - it will go by faster than you think !!

Also feel free to attend support meetings - most of them are open to people who are considering the surgery - you will get GREAT insight from this type of meeting.

I know Bridgewater is a hike from Attleboro - but we have a great group there - we actually meeet this MOnday night - we've had several people come through and tell us we have been very helpful with their decision / and understanding the process better. Message me for details if you're interested !

You're on your way - don't get discouraged !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
CATHERINE81
on 11/18/09 9:50 pm - BROCKTON, MA

HEY LISA

i met a gentlemen who is devating between lapband and gastric and is my my hospital group he actually lives in Bridgewater and i mentioned the meeting to him. Can i bring him?>

tauntonredsox33
on 11/18/09 11:21 pm - Taunton, MA
I second everything Lisa said.. This is your decision and only yours to make.   I do know that with Tufts insurance you do have to complete the 6month program through your insurance....
Tufts hospital in Boston does do both surgeries.. they have a great new pt orientation meeting that meets every month. Here is the link to thier wesite
http://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/OurServices/WeightandWelln essCenter/default

This is the hospital I went to I had Dr Shikora who in my opinion he is GOD!!!  LOL

You are on the right path do not give up
Any questions feel free to PM me
Welcome to the boards and we are all here for you !!! You are not alone !

We have a great group in Bridgewater it's worth the trip! 
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs