Timeline/experience at Tufts!

pinkruby
on 11/10/09 10:04 pm
Hi all! I am new and just at the beginning of my journey.

I am looking into having my surgery done at Tufts with Dr. Shikora. If anyone could give me any input on what their experience (and also their timeline) was like there, I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks in advance.
tauntonredsox33
on 11/11/09 5:34 am, edited 11/11/09 5:34 am - Taunton, MA
Dr Shikora is the MAN!!!!!!  Words can even decribe!!! 
my journey started in April 09 had surgery Aug 09... thats because I didn't ru****lol  Would do it again in a heartbeat~~~
Everyone is wonderful!!!  Did have a little issue week before surgery not having an approval from my insurance.. they assured me it would get approve and sure enough it did a day before.. A little nerve racking with all the other emotions going through this suregery,,,
MY advice is when at the hospital recovering WATCH YOUR TRAY I WAS GIVEN FOODS I WAS NOT SUPOSE TO HAVE :(
Also attend support groups.. people are amazing and totally relate to what your going through!!!
I go to a monthly meeting in Bridgewater the girls/guys are great.. you are more then welcome to come even pre-op so you can here all are horror stories...lol  kidding we meeting last monday of the month
Any questions feel free to PM me
Welcome to the boards
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
LisaBC86
on 11/11/09 7:43 am - Bridgewater, MA
Just wanted to echo what Melissa said about the meeting - You are very welcome - and to  come pre-op is great because we really have lots of info. to give you to prepare !!

We do meet on the last Monday of the month EXCEPT this month and Dec. - we moved it :

November 23
December 21

We did this to be proactive with the holidays - so we could discuss ways to avoid temptation, etc instead of discussing what we wish we had done !

In any case feel welcome to come ! We also often (not every meeting) have samples and that might be helpful to you !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
laflaca
on 11/14/09 10:08 am
My surgery date is dec 7 at tufts, at last check they had not submitted my insu authorization form.  Is there anything I can do to get this done asap.  I wont be able to handle waiting until the day before to get an answer
263/250/165/160
HW/SW/CW/GW

kawkbw
on 11/11/09 8:51 am - MA
Hi There!

I see you're from Mansfield. I actually work in Mansfield!  100 Copeland Drive.

Anywho, I also had Dr. Shikora as my surgeon.  BEST CHOICE I've made.  I was just there yesterday to see Meghan and Dr. Greenburg.  I started my journey at Tufts October "08 and had surgery May 13, 2009.  I had a great experience with everyone there.  I highly reccomend Tufts and Dr. Shikora.
Pat T.
on 11/11/09 6:13 pm - North Attleboro, MA
I can't offer any information on Tufts or Dr. Shikora, but I wanted to say "Hi" and wish you the best on your journey!  This is such an exciting time and as Lisa said, it will come with emotional ups and downs, but you'll do just fine!

This is a great group and you'll find that everyone is willing to help answer questions if you any.

Take care and wishing you the best,

Patti

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader - WOW: Working On Wellness
pinkruby
on 11/12/09 6:00 am
Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it!

Those of you that did in fact have Dr. Shikora/Tufts....I may just pick your brain....hope you don't mind!
kgrenier12
on 12/1/09 10:30 pm - pembroke, MA
Hi:

Welcome!

I am booked for RNY 12/8 with Dr. Shikora.

Tufts is a great program and requires you to participate in their pre-surgical program.

Here's a real detailed timeline and I'm hoping it helps you.

My timeline:
wrestling with decision to do surgery 11/08 - 03/09
submitted my initial form to Tufts Medical saying i'm interested: 4/1/09
initial physical & group mtgs: june 2009
started overeaters anonymous: june 2009
decision to pick RNY over Lap-Band: July 2009
completed all tufts prog requirements: September 2009
(i could've booked in september but deferred to december due to work)
met w/dr shikora & booked date: October 2009
nutritionist followup to keep me on track: October 2009
insurance approval: 11/28
Tufts Pre-op testing(ekg, blood, history/physical, xray): 12/1
surgery: 12/8/09

I also created a binder that kept everything Tufts gave me so it could be in one spot.  There's alot of information.  Now before surgery I'm referencing it alot more so I know what to buy for those initial weeks.

I finish night school 12/7 and will plan on attending the Bridgewater support meeting on 12/21!

Please feel free to email me if you have anymore questions.

Sincerely,
Kerry
Pembroke, MA

pinkruby
on 12/2/09 9:23 am
Kerry thank you SO SO MUCH for posting such a detailed reply. I do have some more questions...think I'll take you up on that offer to email you. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views