Another visit to the docs in my struggle for weight loss.

HutchBiorn
on 11/3/09 8:21 am - West Springfield, MA

Today was the visit with the psych. Was a good visit. Learned some things I didn't know...like... did you bananas is a high source for sugar?? 0.o, so..he wants me to only eat half a banana if I do eat any, preferrably cut them all together. Learned how the balance of natural body sugars and protein works and a slew of other things. I did loose a pound since my last visit. That may not seem like a lot to most folks...but when you've been over 300 pounds for over 20 years and unable to loose even 1 pound.. it's major. So.. the next hurdle has been met, crossed and given way. He signed his approval for surgery. Next up is contacting Doc Casper for consult and hopefully his approval. So, will make that call for his visit tomorrow.

So...we continue on.....
Starting weight 309

Don't try to confuse me, I was born this way.

Sue M.
on 11/3/09 9:35 am - Nantucket, MA
Every pound is a victory!  Great job and congrats on crossing the first hurdle - I hope you don't have many more!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
LisaBC86
on 11/3/09 7:48 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Sue is right !!! We tend to minimize our accomplishments - lets make this a journey about relishing them !! Be proud of what you've done !!

Keep up the good work and take it one meal at a time !!

Best of luck !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
thinsomeday
on 11/3/09 10:09 pm - webster, MA
hey there -

am i right in thinking this is preop weight you are trying to lose?  we all most definately feel your pain.  i struggeld until the bitter end - only losing 3 lbs preop.  although i did make changes, there were no changes on the scale! 

one thing that really helped me was that i made a list of all my hugest habits i knew needed to stop - the list was overwhelming, but i tackled the easiest one first and then break it down to baby steps.  for example my easiest was to get rid of soda - so first i stopped buying it for the house, then stopped when going out (at parties or resturants) and now it is just a habit.  i also like to say instead of no thank you is "no thank you, i don't drink soda"  for whatever reason it makes me actually beleive it.  another habit i had was i went to dunkin donuts every day - literally - and october 20, 2008 i stopped that habit- sold turkey for a bit and then once in a great while and now it is like "no thank you, donuts don't agree with me" 

i had to pick an issue i had, write down my ways to tackle the change and why it was bad.  other issues were going out to eat too much (which i really can't afford) and serving sizes out of control (eat off smaller plates).  i work 3-11 and a big issue i had was eating when i get home - i never stopped that up until the last day...fought it every day and was only a success one night...only once! 

i check out my "what got me fat" list and refer to it often.  oh yeah and also i go to individual and group therapy to figure out if i know this behavior is bad - why do it do it!  it is an addiction worse that any other i feel - because cigarettes and alcohol you can stopy buying, but food you need to live...so it is about finding a healthy relationship...

wow - i am babbling! 

turn to this board for suppost - i sure do!!
kat
HutchBiorn
on 11/5/09 12:34 pm - West Springfield, MA
You're all right..and relish we will. :) To me, 1 pound is fantastic. And someday, that one pound will turn into 3 pounds, then 6 pounds then 10 pounds...and so on. Until I can one day be at a weight I actually felt comfortable at. Once, I was a comfy 175..then I had kids. :P I have finally admitted the use of foods as a comfort for when I feel depressed or get upset or angry about something. Now, dealing with it in other ways is gonna be interesting for me..but hopefully not too hard as I have my housemates and girlfriend to help.
Starting weight 309

Don't try to confuse me, I was born this way.

Pat T.
on 11/6/09 8:55 pm - North Attleboro, MA
Congratulations!  Keeping that great attitude will keep you on track and your surgery will be here and over before you know it!

Best wishes on your journey,

Patti

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader - WOW: Working On Wellness
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs