New - Would love some Blue Cross Blue Shield advice

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 6:57 am
For those of you who are BC/BS members, how was the approval process??  The literature I got from them seems pretty straight forward and I meet the 40 BMI requirement no problem and have 100 lbs or more to lose to be in the healthy weight range.  Although I do not have any co-morbid conditions.  I currently have 4 months of weight loss attempts documented but years of it documented thru my physician and previous evidence of weigh****chers/jenny craig.

I would love to know how difficult the approval process was for you - even if you met the qualifications outlined in the policy.

Was it a fast approval?  Did they make you jump thru hoops?

I just want to know what to expect.  I'm just starting the process and excited!!

Thanks for the information!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 7:33 am

Sorry - I should also mention that I'm pursuing LapBand.

Thanks!!

LisaBC86
on 11/3/09 9:25 am - Bridgewater, MA
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO - not sure if that makes a difference - but I will say getting my surgery approval was one of the easiest things I've ever done ! I was speechless when I got the approval letter - no questions, forms to fill out, anything !! Very surprised !

Good luck to you - if I can help in any way let me know !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 10:39 pm
Thank you Lisa!!  That's encouraging!!! 
nicunicu2002
on 11/4/09 10:15 am - Sharon, MA
it was very easy, very quick.  my doctors office took care of filing all the paperwork for it.  no hoops, no months and months of diet classes.  bam.  it was done.

good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/09 6:13 am
On November 4, 2009 at 6:15 PM Pacific Time, nicunicu2002 wrote:
it was very easy, very quick.  my doctors office took care of filing all the paperwork for it.  no hoops, no months and months of diet classes.  bam.  it was done.

good luck!
Yah!!

My RN told me today they are going to go ahead and submit everything and they don't expect any issues!!!

I'm still amazed at how easy they've made this so far!!

I was totally expecting a much more stressful process!!
MultiMom
on 11/5/09 8:05 am - NH
I had my approval in days without any problems :) Good luck!!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

ATHiker
on 11/5/09 12:29 pm - North Shore, MA
 I was approved the same afternoon I was submitted.  BCBS is really VERY quick and easy to work with as long as you meet the requirements!
 Forever cheerful in the face of rueful odds.... 

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLSX0Lu/] [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLSX0Lu/weight.png[/img] [/url]  
Katie H.
on 11/9/09 8:59 am - Charlton, MA
I have BC/BS PPO as well, and mine was no problem, it may have been two weeks.  I had to change the date of my surgery after I got my approval letter and they were super nice about it and re-approved everything with no problems.

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views