Tea

LisaBC86
on 11/2/09 9:18 am - Bridgewater, MA
Ok I'm sure I should know this but......... because I'm not a coffee drinker ever and rarely drink tea - I haven't paid much attention but now that it's getting so cold I'm needing HOT beverages so what is this about beverages with no caffeine ? Is there a special kind of tea we're supposed to be drinking? When I do drink tea it's without milk so that isn't a problem and I bought truvia to try so just wondering about the tea part. Thanks in advance !!!

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Sue M.
on 11/2/09 11:04 am - Nantucket, MA
i drink both regular tea and decaf tea.  Surgeons all seem to have differing advice on caffeine.  some say never, mine said none the first month.  I figure if you don't drink it often, it probably doesn't matter. 

black, white and green teas are really good for you as far as supplying anti-oxidents.  Your basic Lipton is black and comes decaf if you want it.  I've discovered that i really like mint tea.  play around. :)
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Beckstar
on 11/2/09 11:12 am
I like Bigelow Green Tea with Pomegranate -- recommended by my nutritionist.  She says some caffeine is fine.
You can get regular or decaf tea - like Lipton's. 
I also like Bigelow Sweet Dreams which is Chamomile and mint.

Hope that helps!
MaeFB
on 11/2/09 12:13 pm - Townsend, MA
 My doctor's pamphlet says no caffeine for the first six months. (Sue D. had Dr. Gazmuri, so apparently what he says differs, but either way six months was the limit.) So I don't know, sorry! He did say that that soda is never allowed, but caffeine is just allowed in six months.

CATHERINE81
on 11/2/09 12:19 pm - BROCKTON, MA
ok Lisa here goes I lovedecaf affrican tea at starbucks its so good also shaws brand decaf green tea ij the purple box is very yummy.
LisaBC86
on 11/2/09 7:10 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Thanks all !! I am almost 7 months out and drink NOTHING bu****er with 5 calorie flavorings so..... but with the cold weather (which has NEVER bothered me so much) I know I'm going to need to drink hot beverages and just couldn't remember what or if anything had been mentioned about tea - I remember something about coffee but quite honestly just dismissed whatever it was cuz as i said NEVER drink it !!

So from what you are all saying - sounds like there are no special requirements for tea - just like everything else - moderation !! Thanks again !!

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
RazzyRobyn
on 11/3/09 8:36 pm - West Boylston, MA
I have migraine issues so my neurologist actually wants me to have a cup of a caffinated beverage a day. Now I had to go against his advice preparing for bypass and the first 7 weeks post-op. At my 7 week post-op appointment I discussed the caffine conversation with my surgeon and he said he was fine with caffine, just don't drink a "great one" from Dunkin Donuts everyday... he said a small cup of tea or coffee daily is ok, especially if I'm taking my antacid medication.

So, I would say follow what your surgeon says, but it sounds like all the surgeons have differing opinions in this area.  :)  Happy Hot Beverages to you! I know they are saving me because I'm COLD all the time now  :)

Hope you're doing well!
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

kawkbw
on 11/2/09 9:00 pm - MA
I lOVE tea!!  It's so comforting on cold days!   I like Bigelow (sp?) black tea and I like English Breakfast.  I also have tried Decaf Lemongrass Green Tea.  I find it at Stop and Shop.
thinsomeday
on 11/3/09 10:13 pm - webster, MA
i drink plain old lipton decaf.  i have tried so many and just not finding ones i like - vanilla, maple, fruit flavors - and keep coming back to the old standard. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views