I may have become Lactose Intolerent

Mara C.
on 10/29/09 2:24 am, edited 10/29/09 2:25 am - Millbury, MA
So I spoke to my doctor and told him after 6 days on the carnation instant breakfasts, I am literally gagging on them and don't know how I am going to make it the next two weeks on them before I can go on to pureed foods.  He said some folks become lactose intolerant and to try lactaid and a lactose free protein shake.  I just went to the market and bought those, but can't try anything until this awful nauseous feeling goes away or I won't know if that was it.  He said mainly just make sure I am getting all the clear liquids in and now bump it to 60 oz's a day.  Did this happen to anyone else?  What was your experience?
RazzyRobyn
on 10/29/09 2:44 am - West Boylston, MA
I was told the same thing as I had severe nausea from the Carnation (CIB). So they told me to try a different one, and if that did not work, try one without lactose.... so I tried Glucerna, Boost... and bunch others (7 different ones, but I can't remember the names, even 2 without lactose)... but all still made me want to be sick. I had the best luck with Atkins Advantage shakes, I found them at the CVS in West Boyston. Anyway, they had the lowest suger of all the shakes I had tried. Of course the protein was on the low side, but they told me to go for it as long it would give me some nutrition.

My constant severe nausea all disappeared after I was allowed in soft foods. Cottage cheese was and still is so special to me. It was the first food I ate and it took the nausea all away. That was 2 1/2 weeks post-op.

Please keep me posted dear! I found the first 2 weeks the hardest all around. I'm here if you need me!
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Mara C.
on 10/29/09 7:06 am - Millbury, MA
Wow, I didn't think lactose was your problem since you were allowed cottage cheese and yogurt, but those didn't bother you?

I still feel nauseous so i am waiting for that to go away before i try the Lactaid and the lactose free protein shake I bought today (muscle milk).  I have a wee from today before I see my doctor and two weeks to move on to foods, I really hope I can make it through this part!  The last two days, I've just felt awful and nauseous all day all night.

Also when I take cat naps I worry that I am getting behind on my fluids.  I think I need to start writing them down!

Thanks Roybyn, your experience is what made me call today (hoping they'd allow me some yogurt or cottage chz - but not yet) besides the fact that I knew I could no longer drink those CIB without severe nausea all day.  If these don't work, I will def call back and see what they tell me to do next.

I just can't wait to feel better - I just know it will happen!!!
RazzyRobyn
on 10/29/09 11:23 am - West Boylston, MA

While I was on the liquid only/protein shake diet for the first two weeks (supposd to be 3), they thought it might be the lactose... but when I still felt sick from the shakes that were lactose free, I had a feeling it was just my pouch and recovering from surgery. Don't get me wrong, I was whining and crying alot. I felt really depressed too. I went to my 2 week post-op appointment to get my staples out and I was just crying and crying so hard. So, that's when they allowed me to try cottage cheese, pureed soups and yogurt. I know some poeple have said they became lactose intolerant after surgery... but I would wait it out until you get to try pureed and soft foods and see how your pouch handles it.  I'm really grateful that I have not developed an intolerance to lactose yet, I eat a ton of cheese, yogurt.  However, just be careful with milk... the sugars in milk can kick you in the butt. I can only tolerate 1/2 cup of 2% milk or I get the runs. (sorry if that was too much info.) I hope in time I wll be ablet to tolerate a cup.  :)

Keep your chin up. It's sooo worth it!  I'm holding my breathe as I await to enter the 180s on the scale next week.  :)

Try out the Atkins Advantage shakes... they were the only thing I could mildly tolerate. :)

Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Mara C.
on 10/29/09 11:43 pm - Millbury, MA
Thank you so much for all of your advice, I will try the Akins ones and hope for the best.  You are doing awesome, I am so proud of you!!!  I hope to just get through these first few weeks and move on from this yucky feeling in my belly all the time.  Thanks again, I truly appreciate everything! ~ Mara
Just Brooke
on 10/30/09 2:44 am
It's quite common.

I only drink 1% milk now ..it's all I can tolerate. I can do cheeses though. But whole milk - bleh!!! 

There is a milk called Simply Smart that is suppose to be good. Haven't tried it since the 1% works for me.

jdr1208
on 10/30/09 3:18 am - Worcester, MA
mara, my uncle who had the surgery 5 years ago was lactose "sensistive" for the first year then it miraculously went away. very strange but they say anything can happen!
good luck

(i drink the atkins shakes now even, when i know im not getting enough protein ill have one of those. yum)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views