Home from surgery

Mara C.
on 10/27/09 8:30 am - Millbury, MA

I had surgery Fri, 10/23 and came home on Sunday.  Today is the first day I felt good enough to get on the pc, check emails, etc.  It's great to be home, but I am having that buyers remorse today...  my families supper smells delicious!!!  I expected this and know it will pass, and it's in my head and all be worth it but these required SF Carnation Instant Breakfasts are making me gag!  I am getting all the liquids in and the vitamins so I hope to continue that.  I feel like a swollen beached whale so I am not attempting to even get on the scale yet!

The hospital experience was good, no problems at all, it was a quick surgery and the night was a blurr of people checking my vitals etc.  The morphine pump really messed me up...helped with pain but made me feel dizzy and not myself.  The day I went home they switched me to pill form and as soon as they did, I felt better.  I hope to continue feeling better each day and thank you for all the good luck wishes!  ~ Mara

Sue M.
on 10/27/09 9:53 am - Nantucket, MA
Mara,
Welcome to the loser's bench!!

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I doubled the amount of milk in my carnation instant breakfast and drank it heated - like hot chocolate.  It went down a lot easier for me that way - I still drink it that way - it ups the protein.

Do the best you can with protein and liquids.  It takes a while, and some days, I still struggle, but they get fewer and fewer with time!

-Sue

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
RazzyRobyn
on 10/27/09 9:57 am - West Boylston, MA
Welcome home! I had the buyer's remorse for the first 2 weeks due to my constant nausea, but they allowed me some soft foods and all the nausea went away and it's been pretty much smooth sailing since! It will get better,but I will admit it's hard to smell the foods the family is eating... but just try to get through it the best you can.

I don't regret my surgery, I'm 51 pounds down since surgery and a total of 73 pounds down this year.... you can do this!!

If you need anything or have any questions, please give me a shout!!! Hugs and best wishes to you on a smooth recovery!!

Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Marcia C.
on 10/27/09 2:47 pm - Holden, MA
Your OH family is here for  you! I am glad to hear that things are going well for you and that the hospital experience was good.

For a couple of weeks afterwards my family ate in the kitchen and I was in the livingroom recovering. They did their best not to eat in the same room as me. My biggest challenge was my taste buds. After a couple of weeks it got better and now 8 1/2 months down the road things are great! I wouldn't change anything for the experience!

I hope you feel better and stronger each and every day :) 

Marcia 

LisaBC86
on 10/27/09 8:10 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Ditto to what all the posters wrote !! You will be fine - just give yourself time - and understand what you are feeling (sounds like you do !) Best of lluck !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views