Changing my life in 3 days!!

Mara C.
on 10/19/09 11:19 pm - Millbury, MA
Helloooo All,

I am having surgery Fri, 10/23 if anyone has any last minute advice, hospital list, or anything I would appreciate it!!!

I am getting excited and still nervous and just want to get through the surgery part, and concentrate on what they tell me to do next...

Thanks everyone for sharing here with all of us! ~ Mara
jdr1208
on 10/19/09 11:24 pm - Worcester, MA
congrats mara!!!!!!! you will love the hospital staff that was the best part of the whole process for me! only thing i can add is when it feels like the liquid stage will never end, keep at it, it definitely will end. you'll be on the losers bench before you know it!!!! im so excited for you!!!
jill
Mara C.
on 10/19/09 11:59 pm - Millbury, MA
Thanks Jill, that's comforting to know about the hospital staff, and something to keep in mind for the liquid stage...  I think I get to change over just before Thanksgiving. (not that I will be eating normal for Thanksgiving, but at least I won't have to sit there with a cup hopefully!).

Thanks for encouragement Jill!
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/09 11:34 pm
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!!! 
Mara C.
on 10/20/09 12:01 am - Millbury, MA
Thanks so much - your day will be here before you know it too!!  So exciting!!
RazzyRobyn
on 10/20/09 2:51 am - West Boylston, MA
I will be thinking of you!!!  Just take it easy and be paitent with yourself.  Follow all the doctors orders and when in doubt, CALL your surgeon's office with questions!  I'm not sure who your surgeon is, but mine, Dr. Kelly (and his awesome staff) was great and always receptive to my questions. 

I also had great nurses taking care of me in the hosptial... I could not have done it without them!

I would suggest picking up some books to read during recovery. I read the Twilight series (4 books) and it helped me think of other things than my nausea. (I had a lot of nausea on the liquid diet, but as soon as I went on soft foods the nausea went away. Most people I spoke to on this board did not have that issue, so hopefully I was unique and you won't have that.)

If you need me, just email me on this board! Hopefully we can meet up at a support group meeting one of these months!  :)

Please keep us posted on how you're doing!
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Mara C.
on 10/20/09 4:34 am - Millbury, MA
Thanks so much Robyn!

I am sure I will be frequently asking questions when I come home -- I am sure!!  I appreciate your advice and info too.

My plan is to finish my daughters 1st year baby scrapbook while I am recovering, also have a few books to read also.

I hope to have a good experience at the hospital like you and Jill have!

Thanks again!!! ~ Mara
Sue M.
on 10/20/09 5:02 am - Nantucket, MA
Congrats and Good Luck!  I wish you nothing but the most routine surgery and speedy recovery!

Things I loved at the hospital: 
Ponds disposable face wipes
a small fan to help block out hall noise (plus the breeze was nice on rubber mattress!)
light bathrobe for walking the halls
chapstick
baby spoons - i was too scared to even sip water - but they are really useful for creamed soup, pureed food.

*hugs*
Sue
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Brian1977
on 10/20/09 7:22 am
Congrats Mara!  This will be the best decision you ever made, even if the first 24-48 hours makes you doubt it!  I had my surgery last Thursday the 15th in Rhode Island.  The thing I would stress is ASk to get up and walk if they dont get you up first.  I was in the step down ICU from Thursday night till Friday night and asked to get up and walk at about 11:30 Friday morning.  The sooner you get up and walk, the sonner you will feel like you have to fart (might sound gross, but it will feel like the best one ever once it comes) and this will start the release of the gases they are going to pump into you for surgery.   Also, when they have you hooked up to the patient controled pain meds, use them if you need it.  And then when they take you off that and give it to you, take it when they give it, dont try and resist it.  I did this once and i couldnt wait for the nurse to get there with it when i hit my call button.  This will be a great thing that ypu are doing, and you will do great!  Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress!!

Brian

Mara C.
on 10/20/09 7:32 am - Millbury, MA
Thank you all!!!!!  Can't wait to join you all on the bench!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views