9 days post RNY, absolutely out of energy--feel like there is no gas in my tank~Suggestions?

michellemc0
on 10/7/09 3:04 am, edited 10/7/09 8:04 am - bridgewater, MA
Hi everyone,
I had my lap RNY on Mon. 9/28.  Since I returned home, everything's gotten quite a bit better--incisions, basically no pain, and I'm following the Stage 3 diet (which by the way, I loathe--the protein shakes are not something I look forward to).  I'm trying to get in all my protein and water and I'm finding it a struggle but I'm at least CLOSE if not there most days.

My question is:  when is this life-killing exhaustion going to end? I was educated in advance that this would happen and it was in everything I read as an effect of the surgery but seriously, if I could just lie in bed all day, I would.  I have three small kids, and just getting the two older ones off to Kindergarten and Preschool wipes me out.  Once they leave, I hang out on the couch reading to my younger one and then we take a walk.  However, I always feel like I want to collapse after my walk--in all my life, I used to feel really invigorated after exercise.  Not now.  

I know protein is key, and I'm getting in in.  My body (and I'm sure most people's) clearly misses the jump-start energy of sugar and carbs.  

So the question is--How long does this last??????  All I really want to do is lie down.  (If I didn't have the kids I would definitely be doing that).  I drove to the market last night and I almost didn't go in, the act of driving was so exhausting.  (I've been off pain meds for five days)

Any hope you can give me?  Thanks, hate to complain but I just need to know when this will end.

Michelle  ~~~  241/233.6/118.6/125 Starting/Surgery/Current/Goal    
   a few pounds below goal right now!

thinsomeday
on 10/7/09 3:48 am - webster, MA
hey there -

i am interested to hear the responses you get.  i will be one month behind you - lap RNY 10/28.  i too have 3 small ones, 2, 3, and 6.  so my poor little ones are just going to be stuck in front of the TV for a few weeks - i am a bit thankful the cold weather is coming so i can use that as an excuse.  i think i might stock up on coloring books, movies and a few toys (thinking yard sales here :) just to occupy them if i can't. 

i hear it lasts 6 weeks, but i know everyone is different.  i am so glad to hear the surgery itself went well.  what you can't offer the kids now as far as energy will come back 10 fold!  you are almost there!! 

hugs,
kat
LisaBC86
on 10/7/09 7:59 am - Bridgewater, MA
Ok - you probably don't want to hear from ME here but ........... lol

Honestly I think for about 6 weeks I was exhausted - some days were better than others- just take it day by day - Get your protein in - get a restful nights sleep - continue with your exercise and it will all help - But I honestly think it's just part of "the journey" our bodies go through so much - we have to just give it time !! Oh your vitamins and supplements too - gotta keep up with them !! It will get better! I promise !!!

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
joe01880
on 10/7/09 11:43 am - Wakefield, MA
Your surgeon should have told you that you would be tired for a few weeks, you have just had major surgery and your body needs time to recover.
Try to get your protein in, you will start to notice that energy and protein intake are related and you will have more energy after drinking a shake or eating something from stage 3 when that time comes.
For the next few weeks relax, let your body recover from the stress of surgery and sip sip sip, your energy and strength will return.

Joe Was Here 

Failure is not an option!

stellalukin
on 10/8/09 1:24 am - Cambridge, MA
Protein is not the key. Fluids are the key. Work on those first during this stage.

My exhaustion wore off around the 5-6 week mark. I was working out before I got to that point, but it was after 6 weeks that I really felt like myself again.

Take naps! Be good to yourself. It passes.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

MaeFB
on 10/9/09 5:46 am, edited 10/9/09 5:49 am - Townsend, MA
I was okay for about six-ten hours straight and most of my usual life by week four, I think. (Ten was the good days.) Take naps. Sit down when you need to. Remember your body is recovering from surgery IN ADDITION to only taking in probably 300-500 calories a day. Even if you DIDN'T just have surgery you'd have a hard time running on 300 calories every day! You'd be hungry and want to go lie down, and (if you're like me) probably angry at everyone. It'll happen, don't worry. Everyone is different. IT WILL END. Hahah. 

Also, now that I'm five months out, it's UNBELIEVABLE what energy you'll have afterward when you're carrying less around with you. So you're exhausted now, it'll end BIG TIME. 

You're doing awesome, at least you're trying to do everything and get back into a routine. And remember that it's all WORTH IT when the exhaustion goes away! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views