Is it safe to get my hair colored?

dragonfly777
on 10/1/09 11:33 pm

Anyone had their hair colored at a salon after gastric bypass?  I have been losing some hair but my thyroid is okay. But my appt is today at 1:30 pm and I found some website  of someone and she said not to do it.   She isn't a doctor and doesn't mention if she had her hair colored so its hard to know what she has based her info on.

I am going to an aveda salon and they do use natural stuff so I am hoping I will be okay. My surgery was June 1 and its been 12 weeks since I had my hair colored and I have to do something with it.

Any first hand experience is most welcome!

MaeFB
on 10/1/09 11:40 pm - Townsend, MA
 I asked my salon and she said she really didn't want to color my hair even just highlights while I was still losing some hair. I had my surgery a month before you, and my stylist still says she wouldn't probably do it for another two to four months because putting anything in my hair could kill it. 

It might just be my salon, but you're only a month behind me, so I guess it depends what the risk is and if it's worth it.

~MaeMae~

tauntonredsox33
on 10/1/09 11:56 pm - Taunton, MA
Ok well I'm a hairdresser myself and have not heard of anything about not coloring your hair after gastric bypas surgery. Matter of fact I colored my own 2 weeks ago like I always have and there is no problem with it what so ever!  
I'm actually dating and getting lots of compliments on it!!!!
So go and get sassy'd up girls!!!!
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
Just Brooke
on 10/1/09 11:56 pm, edited 10/1/09 11:56 pm
I color my hair all the time myself ...but we were told not to do any thing like that until you stop losing the hair. Hair loss is usually about 3 months. I mean ..you CAN do it, but they highly suggested not to because it can 'help' with losing more hair and that you don't want to happen! 

stellalukin
on 10/2/09 2:33 am - Cambridge, MA
Well this is a new one. I never stopped coloring my hair & I bleach the hell out of it once a month.

People also tell you not to color your hair when you're preggers, but I did that too & thus far my daughter is a perfectly normal teenager.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

dragonfly777
on 10/2/09 2:53 am
Thanks for all the quick answers. I am leaving in a few for my appt and I will talk to the stylist and she what she thinks. I can at least get my hair cut and maybe she can do some temporary type color that isn't as bad, although aveda is supposed to be one of the more natural type colors. 

fingers crossed I am not wig shopping soon!

dragonfly777
on 10/2/09 7:20 am
Well my hair is done and so far no worse for wear!  My stylist said she was using demi permament and the aveda stuff is pretty natural so we went with it. Nice to have a haircut too after so long. 

I will keep you posted if anything major comes up. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views