Support in Central MA?

hopeful and happy
on 9/27/09 10:49 am - Skinnytown, MA
Hello All! It's official-- I am less than 1 month away from my surgery! Eek!

So, although I am still having the surgery done at Tufts Medical, I recently moved from the city to Lancaster and wondered if there are any others out in this area who might want to get together for some support? Are there already groups meeting? If so I would love to join up!

Hoping to meet some of you...

Sue M.
on 9/28/09 10:33 am - Nantucket, MA
Congrats on the countdown!  I know my month flew by for me, so i hope it goes well for you too.

Not sure about central MA groups - i know there are people at that way though... I think Worcester has a program.  hmmm

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Ginama66
on 9/28/09 8:46 pm
Umass has one.
MaeFB
on 9/28/09 9:59 pm - Townsend, MA
 Look into the Worcester, MA and Lowell General ones. And of course we have support groups/parties in this area sometimes that we host ourselves to talk and share. (Though, I never GET to them because of work, they sound like a big help.) Welcome to the Central MA losers bench!

Mara C.
on 9/29/09 2:24 am - Millbury, MA
Yes, UMASS in Worcester.  Here is the site with the schedule and directions:

http://www.umassmemorial.org/MedicalCenterIP.cfm?id=3737

Meetings, held on the fourth Thursday of every month, start at 6 pm and last about an hour.
michellelee30
on 10/4/09 12:09 pm - Auburn, MA
I go through the Fallon Clinic for my pre surgery program and they have a great program for before and after.  They have  post surgery support groups that meet at the Worcester Medical Center/ St Vincent Hospital.  I believe it is always in the eveing.  You could contact the Nutrition department and Behavioral Health Department and both departments can be reached by calling 508-852-0600.  Both nutrition and behavioral health are great as well they are always willing to set up one-on-one appts if needed and the encourage you to keep going back for support pre and post one-on-one or as a group.  check out there website www.fallonclinic.org
Hope this helps
Michelle
gjbs_girl
on 10/4/09 12:43 pm - North Brookfield, MA
I've been to the support group meeting at UMASS, not a big fan of it though.  I would prefer a support group that is lead by a medical professional rather than someone who has just "been there".  Would I like to hear from people who have successfully had WLS? Absolutely, as maybe a speaker for a few minutes during the meeting but would prefer medical professionals such as dieticians, doctors and nutritionist to lead.

If you are not "in" with the leader of the group your questions don't get answered.  If you like something he doesn't like, such as Isopure, you are WRONG!  It just doesn't seem very welcoming and it is unfortunate as I am in the program at UMASS and will be having my surgery there.

You might enjoy the meeting but just wanted to give you an honest opinion of it from my experience.  Best of luck in whatever you decide.

OH Support Group Leader
Surgery Date 03/12/10
HW 302/SW 294/CW 199/GW 169

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs