My heart is sooo sad.. I know I made the right decision

tauntonredsox33
on 9/20/09 10:34 pm - Taunton, MA
Please bare with me for I've only had a few hours sleep this morning.....

Spent the evening saying goodbye to my Uncle Robert... He had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and has been in the hospital ever since.... HE is obese, diabetic, had heart disease and smoked!
He had every tube known to man kind in every opening in his body.. Heart is giving out and kidney and liver were shutting down... He will be on his way to heaven very soon..
My dad has had to bury his brother Paul at age 49 due to diabetes, his mother at age 75? due to diabebes, his dad due to heart problems and now his last living brother to heart disease and diabetes.... THEY ALL DIED WAY TOO YOUNG!!!!

I knew if I did not do something NOW at some point I would be in that same situation with all those medical problems....
After looking in my uncles dying eyes last night No doubt in my mind I MADE THE BEST DECISION TO HAVE GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY AT 36 YEARS OLD!!!!
This next week is going to be rough but I know my family is in a better place.
Please pray for My uncle's wife and 2 kids they are just devisated...
Thank You everyone on here for the support! 
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
Just Brooke
on 9/20/09 11:11 pm
Aww...I'm sorry to hear.

But you are right. It IS a good decision. I had an Aunt who was over 300 lbs with many issues and I have an Uncle who is over 400 lbs with diabetes and 2 small children!  It's so sad and I never understand why people don't want to change especially when other family members have been in the same boat. I thought after my RNY it would change some minds in my OWN family, but it didn't. All of the health problems in my family are obese related! But I'm happy I did something about it now before I got diabetes, heart problems, etc.

Hang in there! You'll get through this.

Sue M.
on 9/20/09 11:16 pm - Nantucket, MA
My heart goes out to you! 

I lost a super-morbidly obese aunt to Cervical cancer - all due to the shame of her body she never went for check ups for a perfectly preventable disease. 

Both her daughter and I have had RNY and work hard to make sure we do not follow the same path.  It's a courageous thing to choose to live sometimes.

Congrats to you, and please lean on us for any support you need!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
jdr1208
on 9/20/09 11:27 pm - Worcester, MA
im so sorry you're going through this. hugs and thoughts and prayers to you and your family!
RazzyRobyn
on 9/21/09 9:40 am - West Boylston, MA
I'm so sorry!! Thinking of you and your family! You did a courageous thing having surgery! I hope that it helps bring you some comfort! (hugs)
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

kawkbw
on 9/21/09 12:36 pm - MA
{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}

and yes, you made the right decision for yourself!!  Those exact diseases your uncle had is why I had RNY.  I didn't want to be 40 something in poor health.  I have MUCH MORE living to do and being overweight was stopping me!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views