help, just moved to MA and can't find a doctor to help with my band problem

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 2:39 pm

hey,

i was banded at kaiser in california but have just moved to boston for school.  there seems to be something really weird with my band, though, and i really need to get it checked, so i went to university health services and they told me they'd get me a referral to a local band doctor for an upper GI, unfill, or whatever needed to be done, and that that would all be covered... i got a call today, though, that most of the hospitals they tried to refer me to wouldn't take me as an already-banded patient, and the one in the area that agreed to take me on (beth israel) said that, while i'd be covered by my university health insurance, i would still have to pay $500 to enroll in their bariatric program and then make appointments with the psychologist, nutritionist, etc., even though i'm already banded!  all i need is a thorough band check, and quick! -- HELP!  there's no fill centers here, i can't fly home to california; i don't know what to do.  anyone have any tips about what to do when you move to a new city and need band aftercare??  anyone know of a surgeon here who will see me?  

thanks so much in advance,
sarah

(cross posted on lapband board)
CATHERINE81
on 8/27/09 10:32 pm - BROCKTON, MA
hey sweety her you go

dr nicole pecquix
st elizabeths
617-562-7474
nicunicu2002
on 8/28/09 2:36 am - Sharon, MA
Sarah:

try Dr. David Lautz in Boston.  Talk to Eileen his office manager.   He is at The Brigham and is excellent.

RACEME5577
on 8/28/09 3:04 am - PLAISTOW, NH
try dartmouth hitch**** in manchester nh 603 695 2840. I know they take banded patients from other facilities.
NeedhamGal
on 8/28/09 9:50 pm - MA
There are docs that will take you here in Boston, but I have heard before about the program fee.  You might be able to negotiate the fee down.  However at the Brigham..the program fee covers all the group support meetings and covers the dietitican appts if you book them through the doc office.  The dietician fee can be tricky via regular insurance...so a few visits a year to the dietician can payoff quickly.   Good luck and welcome to Boston!
joan
celnik30
on 8/30/09 3:48 am
Hi Sarah,
 Lowell General Hosp has a fantastic Center for Weight Managment & Bariatric Surgery in Chelmsford. 20 Research Place. 877-LGH-WELL. They have a GREAT team there.
    Hope it helps!

“Just because an animal is large, it doesn't mean he doesn't want kindness; however big Tigger seems to be, remember that he wants as much kindness as Roo.”
    Cel

DonaJ
on 8/30/09 12:33 pm - MA
Hello, and welcome to Boston

I have been seeing Dr. Micheal Tarnoff at Tufts Medical (once was New England Medical) They are Great there.  I had a problem one night and in the emergency room they took my fill all out right there because I was in so much pain.  Then they gave me fills again in time.  Their number is 617-635-0158 or 617-636-0158 not sure which one I don't have my card on me.  Hit the number that says schedule an appointment because then you will get a person.  You know how that is. 

Hope it helps
Donna
ejjy
on 9/17/09 2:10 pm - Watertown, MA
you could try the Lahey surgical weight-loss clinic in Burlington, that's where i had my surgery, i don't think they have a "fee" to enroll, and great doctors. 

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

1sazz S.
on 10/5/09 12:47 pm
you could try dr. Adam Glasgow in Norwood if you wanted to avoid going to the city.  If Boston is easier I would try Lutz.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views