post op woes?!

jdr1208
on 8/24/09 2:53 am - Worcester, MA
hey guys, i havent been on in a while, this month has been pretty crazy. i had my surgery on 7/20 and just went back to work today. i have dropped 31lbs, however have no size difference in clothing, thats a bummer, i figured after 30lbs i would at least notice some difference. my husband took some before and after pics and the difference is miniscule, i will post the pics as soon as i upload them. so i have about 110lbs more to lose. but sometimes i get really down and feel like im never going to get there, as soon as i started soft foods i stalled for about a week, then it was a few lbs here and there, then up until yesterday i weighed the same for a week as well... i keep feeling like stalls this early on shouldnt be happening, and i see other peoples before and after photos and feel like im never going to get there, maybe i was only destined to lose 30lbs and this is it. i also know im only a month out so im just being silly. but the hormones are getting the best of me and i feel like im never going to be thin. i have been hardcore missing my breads and pastas and rice, and my sugar has been lower than normal (73 my pre op sugar was usually between 90-110) because im getting very little sugar in anyway, dr said my sugar is fine but i still feel weak a lot and just want to sit down to a bowl of rice with soy sauce and curl up on the couch. ive also been having a hard time getting my fluids in, even if i sip and sip i still feel swishy in my belly and it makes me nauseated, also ive noticed i cant eat in the morning otherwise i throw it right up. ive thrown up at least once a day for the past 2 weeks. anyone go through this?
RazzyRobyn
on 8/24/09 7:09 am - West Boylston, MA
Hey Jill,

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I am too in regards to weight loss. I have been in a stall for over 2 weeks!!! ARGH!!  I find my head misses the carbs, but my pouch does not. I do struggle everyday to get the protein amount in and water! It's really hard.  I have found succes with some soft foods so far and no vomiting... except the dry heave burping I had last Friday for about 10 minutes... it was awful and scary.

I'm not exercising, not hitting my protein goals and I think that might be why I'm stalled out. It's veery frustrating.  I wish my big incision would just heal up and that my abdomen would not still be tender... but hopefully before I go back to work it will be all better.

Feel free to write back when you have time.  Thinking of you!
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Ginama66
on 8/24/09 8:07 am
hello, I too had my gbs on July 20th. I have been having a hard time eating chicken. everytime I eat chicken I am very sick.
Gina

LisaBC86
on 8/24/09 10:11 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Hello ladies - Sue is right !!! The first couple of months is very difficult - between getting over the surgery, learning to eat / drink again, the mood swings, watching everyone else go on as normal, etc. etc. Just take every small eating / drinking oppurtunity at a time !!! I'm 4 months out and still struggling to get in protein - hated the drinks so it was difficult - but you find ways - I have a Sugar free carnation instant drink mix every morning for breakfast with TWO scoops of benaprotein - which helps ME. But that's the key - you have to take the advice and USE what works for you !!!

Give yourself time to heal and let yourself me emotional - let it out and then pick yourself up and keep going !! 

Best of luck to all of you !!

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Sue M.
on 8/24/09 9:14 am - Nantucket, MA
Hi Ladies,
This is the toughest part.  I remember it clearly.  the hormones are nuts, your whole food life is different and people are EATING all around you. 

It will get easier!!!  All you can do is keep sipping and doing the best you can with the protein.

If you are vomiting a lot - PLEASE call your surgeon. 

Stalls and whatnot are NORMAL.  You might feel like a freak, a failure, but you are doing GREAT.   THIS IS HARD.  It's ok to feel like it's hard.  

Just remember it's SOOO worth it.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Kathy V.
on 8/25/09 3:13 am - MA
I agree with Sue 100%. 
This journey is HARD but sooo worth it. 
Your moods will be all over the place, you'll want to give up, BUT it all passes and you will find a "new" way of life that is so much better than the old one.  Give yourself a break.  And, take it one day at a time.

~Kathy

.....kathy   

atg106
on 8/29/09 11:58 am
Making sure you have a good workout program in the first few months is key.  Working out now rather than later is crucial because you do not want to squander your "window of opportunity."  My surgery was some time ago, and the programs are dramatically different now than before.  My programs only allowed me to have protein first, then anything else (if possible).  Still turkey is impossible for me, and yes, I still dump from time to time.  It's been a while since I've thrown up but it happens.  When in doubt, I still do protein shakes, and I usually do protein shakes for breakfast anyway.

As for seeing a difference, I think it will only happen with the proper food and a proper workout routine. I usually used the "sandwich method" when working out - cardio - light weights, then a little more cardio. 
helane
on 9/2/09 6:06 pm - canton, MA
Jdr.
My niece had gb about 2 years ago and now looks incredible!  I do remember her being so frustrated the first couple of months with her weight loss and getting in her fluids.  She also tells me now that she should have been taking more supplements..your doctor will know best.

I can only say at this time that 30 lbs in 1 month sounds like a DREAM come true for me..by the time I get my surgery..you will be weighing much less and hopefully cheerin gme on!

I have one question for you...are the clothes fitting differently?  Are they not so tight everywhere?

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers..it will only get better!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views