nicotine urine test

dolphinluver112473
on 8/14/09 10:27 pm - MA
Hi everyone,

I'm going for a nicotine/metabolite test on august 24th.  I'm a little concerned because my boyfriend is a smoker and he does smoke in the house.  will that cause that test to come  back abnormal?

NidiaB
on 8/15/09 6:49 am - Southcoast, MA
Hi,

Depending on how sensitive the test is, and how much second-hand exposure you are subjected to, it isn't unusual to have some degree of nicotine or it's metabolites in your urine/bloodstream.  However, in the case of only second hand exposure, it would require that you be inhaling quite a bit of smoke...or for significant periods of time throughout the day.    I believe that nicotine levels can stay in the bloodstream for about 2-3 days, sometimes longe depending on whether someone smokes menthol or regulare cigarettes, or how deeply they inhale.  My guess would be that if you do not smoke, and avoid extreme second hand exposure for a few days before your test, you will be fine...  But, to be on the safe side, I might even suggest that you eliminate the second hand exposure completely and ask your boyfriend (politely) if he can take it outside....

Nidia
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views