another question

dolphinluver112473
on 8/12/09 11:59 pm - MA

Hi everyone,

I don’t mean to be a pain but I have another question.  Does anyone have medicare and masshealth for insurance?  If so I was wondering if anyone knows if either one of them cover gym memberships for a person if it is medically necessary. 

April

NeedhamGal
on 8/13/09 8:27 pm - MA
few thoughts: you might be able to have your doc write a prescription for physical therapy. Some places actually have programs for the obese.  YMCA-they are usually on a sliding scale fee. Town gyms-not sure where you live but some towns have gyms/rec centers/senior centers where you can get exercise for cheap. Adult education programs..some adult ed programs run some exercise programs...pilates, water arobics, general exercise and those would be inexpensive and maybe able for a few waiver.  Some gyms take Tufts healh plan for $5 a visit/5x per month max. Although you don't have tufts...at my gym when I take the kids under the Tufts plan..they never ask to see my tufts health care card.    I have also heard of people buying out someone's membership at gyms...if they have been a member for a whle..their monthly fee is low and is tranferrable for a small amount of money.   TV...if you have cable..there is an exercise channel. Exercise bands....they are great for home use and they are inexpensive(like $5-10) and the local library might have exercise videos to use at home.  Borrow a neighbor's dog and offer to take the dog for a walk. Once you take that dog..you know you need ot finish the walk!!  Cup of Coffee.....offer a friend a cup of coffee to whip your butt to help you exercise...sometimes accountability helps with the exercise if you have someone else...whether or not in the gym or home setting.  
I hope these help...I go to the gym..but only since March.  It forces me to carve time from my schedule without the kids under my feet.   Exercise can really be done in many different formats...I always say...it is the delta -the change--in what you do now to what you do each day. No one needs to be hurcules!   Joan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views