wondering what to expect!?!

hopeful and happy
on 8/3/09 12:02 pm - Skinnytown, MA
Hello all, I joined this site tonight after learning that I am approved for lap-band surgery at Tufts Medical Center in Boston with Dr, Kim. The date is not set, but all signs point to this happening in the next few months!

I have about a bazillion questions for people who have been through this but I will start with just a few:

1.) How long, realistically are you out of work? I have heard everything from a week to a month...

2.) I am just at 40 BMI, which is the lowest the insurance will go, How does that affect the pre-weight loss plan that they put you on?

3.) I am meeting with the psychologist on Wednesday, as required. I am unclear as to whether this is a one time thing or not??

4.) Can someone explain the not eating and drinking together thing? Is this forever? 

Ok, ok, as I said I have lots more questions, but I will pace myself and return to the boards with more!

Thanks in advance!

Just Brooke
on 8/3/09 10:19 pm
1.) How long, realistically are you out of work? I have heard everything from a week to a month...
(I don't work so I can't say for sure ...but if I did work I could of gone back in a week or 2 ...I was fine)

2.) I am just at 40 BMI, which is the lowest the insurance will go, How does that affect the pre-weight loss plan that they put you on? (It doesn't. That plan is to help shrink your organs for surgery. It can also be a way for your surgeon and the insurance to see how serious you are. Some people seem to think if they lost weight before surgery they'd be denied ..that isn't true.)

3.) I am meeting with the psychologist on Wednesday, as required. I am unclear as to whether this is a one time thing or not?? (it was a one time deal for me. They are just trying to make sure you are serious about this surgery and you are doing it for the right reasons)

4.) Can someone explain the not eating and drinking together thing? Is this forever? (It hurts. And if you do it once you won't do it again for a long time anyway. This is how my surgeon explained it. Imagine the drain hole in your kitchen sink. You know when food gets stuck in there ...and then you turn the water on to try and pu**** through, but all it does is either clog or slosh around. That would be what your pouch would do. It also can push the food through and make you hungry faster. Some say it can stretch your pouch. I drink after meals and I'm 15 months out ..but I only take a few sips and I can feel the tightness after I do it. Sometimes it can be painful. So it also depends on what I just ate too.)

ejjy
on 8/3/09 10:55 pm - Watertown, MA
just a few things I would add...

1) I did not do lap band so I am not familiar with recovery times.  However everyone heals differently, and complications make a difference if you have them.  So you can only get a rough idea and hope you will be fortunate and bounce back fast.  In general with a laparoscopic RNY and i'm guessing the band has similar, perhaps shorter heal times, it takes 4 weeks to fully heal, which is not to say you are down for the count for a full 4 weeks, but it takes that long to get back to 100% normal under ideal cir****tances.  I probably could have gone back to a desk job within a week or two.  I had no complications whatever.  Complications may range from nausea to actually mechanical failures to reactions to anaesthesia or whatever, i'm assuming some of these are also experienced by bandsters.  Not saying they are common, just saying they do exist.  And some people's bodies just don't react well to the surgical experience and they take longer to bounce back.  Your age and general health and well being, and any past healing experiences, should probably give you an idea what you can expect for yourself.

2) Many insurances take the starting BMI to qualify for the claim.  However in a few instances I have heard people saying they got disqualified because they lost too much weight.  You should check with your surgeon's office and/or insurance company to find out what their policy is.  My insuror goes with the starting BMI and my doctor's office knew that, so it was never an issue.  Tufts has an excellent reputation and I'd be surprised if they didn't know.  I'm pretty sure BCBS of Mass does NOT disqualify you.

3) Whether it's a one time thing depend on the Tuft's program, i'm not familiar with it.  I only had to meet the psych one time for an evaluation.  i am however approved for more visits if i want to go.

4) As far as i know, the eating and not drinking thing is forever with lap band (i know it is with RNY).  I don't know about it hurting with the band because, again, i have the RNY.  However I believe there is another reason, which is that if you drink with your food, you basically wash the food down your pipes, which means you can pack in more food, and you also end up feeling hungry again very quickly.  The main reason as I have understood it, not to drink with your food, is because it defeats the purpose of the surgery, as you will tend to lose less weight and regain it more easily.  I'm pretty sure this principal applies to the band as well as gastric bypass.

Congratulations on your decision to have WLS, it's definitely the best thing i ever did for myself, i hope you have as positive an experience.  Don't overlook the bandsters forum here on OH, too!

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

hopeful and happy
on 8/10/09 7:06 am - Skinnytown, MA
Thanks for the quick and thorough responses. I have learned a lot in the last week, through a variety of appointments and I am sooo excited!

The exciting news is that I am being fast-tracked and the surgery that I thought was going to be in November, will probably be pushed up to the first week in September! 

Thanks for the support, all! I am so happy to have found this forum! You are all so great and helpful!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views