Went for my consultation/first visit today.

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/09 11:23 am - Winchester, MA
I went to my consultation/first visit today. I saw Dr. Sheldon Randall as he was highly recommended by my PCP. Dr. Randall was great, very nice, thorough, very to the point. My feelings are a little mixed about the other aspects though. I was informed that Mass Health doesn't cover the Lap Band under any cir****tances whatsoever. I have to be honest that I am completely scared to death of the RNY. It is a mandatory 6 month wait period with Mass Health. Dr. Randall also performs the open RNY, not the lap RNY. I've already had 2 c-sections and am kind of apprehensive about being opened up again. He informed me that while the lap band has the lowest mortality rate of all the bariatric surgeries, his personal rate with the open RNY is even lower. So that was my first appointment. Feedback on Dr. Randall or dealing with Mass Health during this process is appreciated =)

THANKS!
RazzyRobyn
on 7/20/09 12:08 pm - West Boylston, MA

Do you know of any surgeons in your area that do the lap RNY? I had a c-section and I'm happy to know that as long as things go as planned, my RNY should be done laparscopically. I too did not want to be opened all the way up.

keep me posted if you want!

Robyn

Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/09 2:00 pm - Winchester, MA
I'm really only in the beginning stages of all this. I went to see him as a starting point. My PCP highly recommended him. I know there are lots of doctors around here that do the lap RNY, I just haven't sorted through them yet. I was really hoping for the lap band, but with my current insurance that isn't going to happen. I like the idea of something that is reversible, not cut and stapled and permanent. I'm going to think about it though. My c-sections were a breeze, but I was hoping to have minimal cutting, stapling, etc if possible. From what I gather, he prefers that route so he can repair anything he may find. I also expressed my concern about malabsorption issues with the RNY and his answer was "rarely happens". I'm assuming he means with the patients HE sees. He is VERY confident. As I mentioned, he said his statistics with open RNY are lower than the national lap band statistics, which is considered the safest method.
Sue M.
on 7/20/09 11:53 pm - Nantucket, MA
i don't know anything about your surgeon, and I certainly can't guess what is better for YOU surgically open or lap, but i can tell you that from my research, lap-band seems to have the lowest success rate of long-term weight loss. 

I didn't want anything reversible... because I wanted the best chance to keep it all off.  Your fear of course is not unfounded.  I've never had anything bigger than dental "surgery", so I had my concerns, but over time talking to people online and in person, I discovered that RNY was right for me.  Try and keep an open mind - there are many options out there.

A confident surgeon is a good thing!  As long as you feel comfortable!  I would definitely meet a few.... I went to 3 hospitals, and am glad I got a feel for all the different programs.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
NeedhamGal
on 7/21/09 7:05 am - MA
interesting he only performs the Open RYN.  There are so many benefits to the lap RNY.  They have reduced the risks with the lap and at some major boston hospitals...they cchoose to do the lap first, leaving the open as a 2nd choice.  Physical recovery will be longer, and there are some findings that psycologically, lap patients (not just rny) vs open have less post surgery depression because the body doesn't need to work as hard to heal. (The endomorphs??).
My honest opinion....find a doc that will do lap rny.     unless there is a specific reason why not to, I can't see why choosing open vs. lap when we are in a major medical area.
joan
dragonfly777
on 7/22/09 8:31 am
I saw on some show that they are even doing the surgery in places now via the mouth!  Can you imagine!

debmom611
on 7/24/09 4:24 am - MA
Someone I ride the train with had something like that done in a trial.. They inserted something down her throat to make the available space in her stomach smaller.  She looks great and has lost a fair amount.  One question is how long is that going to last? I'm not sure what else is involved long-term.

Highest 291/SW 270/CW 238/1st Goal 190

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views