Cigna STD coverage quest

babynurseheather
on 7/11/09 1:59 am - Worcester, MA
Hi all:)  Am I excited to find you!  I have been working towards having RNY surgery this fall.  I was wondering if any of you have been in the same situation with short term disability coverage and if you could offer some advice.

I started my job last fall, and was not given the info to sign up for disability coverage.  The open enrollment period is October.  I plan on picking up the coverage at that time.  The problem (or, potential problem) is that I've seen the nutritionist and counselor, plus one visit with the medical doc at the program at UMASS.  I have not yet seen the surgeon (and I"m hoping this is my loophole.)

HR at my job is not very helpful; the paragraph from Cigna that the HR girl keeps reading to me does not address elective surgery.  I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and has had to file an appeal? 

Any info you can offer is GREATLY appreciated! :)
NeedhamGal
on 7/11/09 11:01 pm - MA
you need to call Cigna directly and give them your plan ID #. they will tell you what your employer has signed up for . They should give you a reference number to your phone call. start a folder or a book to keep all this infomation together.  It can become a blur after a while.
good luck.
joan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views