Is anyone else having random memory flashbacks after the surgery?

dimplessublime
on 7/7/09 1:48 am
I keep having random memories in at all moments of the day all the time. i had my surgery a year ago and lost 130 lbs. i feel and look fantastic ;****ep wondering if the flashbacks are because my mind is finally not obsessing about my weight and all the other problems that came with it .They are not painful memories just random things that don't have any important reason for remembering them.

Is this a sign that I am having a nervous breakdown or that I am going to remember something in my past that I repressed?  I know a woman who had the surgery  and then went crazy and had to go to an institution and tried to kill herself.

ejjy
on 7/7/09 6:46 am - Watertown, MA
nervous breakdown?  i think not, especially since they are memories that are not distressing to you.  it sounds to me like another sign of returning health.  i think you could be right about the release from obsession and now your mental energy and nervous system and biochemistry are free to, well, function more normally!  my memory is HORRIBLE... you give me hope that maybe it will improve over time. 

keep us posted.

some folks do have strong emotional reactions to the physical change that goes with losing a lot of weight, especially if they've never lived with smaller bodies, and especially if the weight masked deeper-lying issues that remain untreated, or completely unrealistic expectations of what WLS will do for them.  but please keep in mind that's a small number of people who have this surgery.  you will probably know if you fall into either category.  i don't (that i know of) but my psych told me to let him know if i start to have any problems all the same.  so far i just feel awesome.

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views