Post from my wife...can anyone help?

losinginbeantown
on 7/4/09 1:53 am - Cambridge, MA
this is a post from my wife can anyone offer any suggestions?  thanks

I have a dilemma, help! I have Tufts insurance and am 2 months into the required 6 month I Can Change program. My BMI is 40.3- just over the requirement for surgery approval. In getting myself ready to go I've now discovered that my cholesterol and c-reactive proteins are high. I also have acid reflux/heartburn. While my doctor still feels that lap band surgery is the way to go, she also doesn't want me to wait 4 months to start working out and losing weight. Unfortunately, my co-morbidities are not the ones that count for Tufts in order to go down in BMI. What do I do? Has anyone else had this dilemma and if so, have you found ways to convince Tufts to approve you if you have chosen to go ahead and start dropping the weight? It's so frustrating. Heck, I know I can drop 20 pounds but that's where it all falls apart for me and I need to lose a lot more than that long term.
NeedhamGal
on 7/4/09 10:43 pm - MA
so....are you wondering if you start to loose weight now that you won't qualify under Tufts insurance.  I have their printed guidelines ...document #2107113 Bariatric surgery dated 5/29/07 (but I printed this last year).

It says you must complete the I can change program, AND have a BMI over 40. If BMI 35-39.99 you must also have diabetes mellitus requiring medication, hypertension requiring medication or medically treated sleep apnea.    Perhaps on Monday you can call Tufts and ask  if the guidelines are the same. They are in print somewhere on line and they could direct you to the guides. 
I don't know where you live...but if you are close to Dedham there is a program at Dedham Health...60/60...for 60 days and 60 dollars they get you started with fitness. They did a presentation at my hospital's support group and it seems good. We are trying to connect to get my husband into it. I also have a girlfriend who did it and raves about it.
Another thought about exercise....often when you increase muscle you loose fat yet increase muscle so your actual weight doesn't change dramatically.
Good luck. joan
losinginbeantown
on 7/5/09 2:35 am - Cambridge, MA
thanks, I will pass it on.
kgrenier12
on 7/7/09 9:42 pm - pembroke, MA
Did you get tested for sleep apnea yet?

Tufts Hospital has a sleep lab.
losinginbeantown
on 7/8/09 12:32 am - Cambridge, MA
her doctor just ordered a sleep study yesterday.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views