Help... Second guessing myself

tauntonredsox33
on 7/1/09 12:30 am - Taunton, MA
Ok here it goes I'm just throwing my feelings out there.....

Over the past several weeks I'm feeling that maybe I don't need the RNY and that the Lapband maybe be better for me....

The reason being is I'm 36yrs old about 100lbs overweight I guess I'm considered a lightweight....
Keep in mind I'm 5 feet short...lol
I have no major health problems other then High Cholesterol and bad knees 3 surgeries before age 22......  I do have a very bad family hx of heart disease and Diabetes... my grandpa died at age 50 of a heart attack....  My uncle died at 49 from diabetes and grandmother had leg amputated due to diabetes
I've been telling some people that I'm having the surgery and they all seem to have the same reaction... "really you are that heavy?? well you don't look it" My family and close friend says it's because I carry myself well and wear clothes that fit me...lol    One guy even did a double take looking at me because he said he would never think of me needing WLS....

I know the decision is mine but I have people telling me I'm not "heavy enough" to have the full gastric bypass but then I think of my family hx and don't want to end up like them in the future either...  I'm afraid of making the wrong choice...  but I feel either one will not be a wrong choice...
Any advise would be greatly appreciated..... 
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
thinsomeday
on 7/1/09 12:55 am - webster, MA
i am always afraid to give advice since i am preop and have so much to learn still...but here goes...

sometimes i feel the same way...also considered a lt weight...about 100 to lose.  i am 6 feet tall and i think people are just being nice when they say i wear it well.   i was initially so opposed to bypass, but the 2 big sticking points for me was if i went with the band - i would most likely lose some of my weight, but not all and also know that a bypass type of surgery is done on this people to keep diabetes at bay.  even if i have the band, i still keep my odds of getting diabetes.  since diabetes is heavy on both sides of my family - i consider that a huge factor if i can dogge that bullet. 

look forward to seeing more responses on here about this. 
RACEME5577
on 7/1/09 1:22 am - PLAISTOW, NH
I just had the surgery. I had alot of people that don't have an understanding of the surgery. They didn't go thru months and months of information meetings. I can tell you this. I have never been happier with what I'm going thru right now. I'm excited every day waking up and feeling thinner each  day. I think the lap band was too flexible for me. I didn't want to have to go keep getting fills. I think there is too much room for error. Please I I know you don't know me but it is the best choice you are making for yourself. Only you know whats bets. No one else. Good luck to you, but I'm telling you. you won't regret the ryn

Heidi
ter413
on 7/6/09 5:53 am
Congratulations!  I am just starting to research my options.  It is incredible that you just had the surgery 5 days ago and you already are feeling great.  I have about 90 pounds to lose and I am at wits end.  I can't stand to be myself anymore.  I look forward to watching your progress.

Keep up the great work!
tauntonredsox33
on 7/1/09 1:44 am - Taunton, MA
thanks soo much girls...

Diabetes is on both my family sides as well My uncle died so young and to watch my grandmother on her death bed from it was the worst thing I have ever gone through....

I feel they will be with me during my surgery and it will be the best decision I've ever made.

thanks again all of you!!!!
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
LisaBC86
on 7/1/09 2:08 am - Bridgewater, MA
Just my opinion coming - I had more than 100 to lose - and still had some people say to me "Wow - I wouldn't think you are heavy enough for that surgery" but guess what if we weren't the insurance and doctors would not approve !

Also considering your history as you've said - it will help.

BUT that being said - if you ARE able to lose and keep it off on your own - by all means go for it !! I always think that is the best option - I think most people would agree - course I'm also thinking you've already tried that root so......

In the end we ARE giving up a lot and there is nothing easy about either one! Don't second guess yourself - just educate yourself more !!! 

Good luck !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Sue M.
on 7/1/09 2:11 am - Nantucket, MA
i had at least 20 people tell me "i wasn't that fat", and couldn't understand that I needed to lose 100 lbs.  They didn't know that RNY could possibly reverse my diabetes almost INSTANTLY and that i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at 20 years old, unlike my mother who was diagnosed at 58 and my grandmother at 70. 

If your surgeon thinks you are an appropriate RNY candidate, then you are.  If YOU think you are a good RNY candidate, then you are.   People who have a friend who has an aunt who had her stomach stapled in the 80s are not qualified to make health decisions about you.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
kawkbw
on 7/1/09 7:50 am - MA
Melissa, Melissa, my dear Melissa!  You have to do what You're comfortable with and I would think what your surgeon feels is appropiate for you.  This is something you can't and must not rush into.  It is LIFE CHANGING!!  Yes, all for the better, BUT it is hard to do this (i feel).  Especially when food is your BFF!!   This has been the best thing for ME.  I knew going in the changes that I would have to make for the rest of my life.  I am here if you want to call me, anytime.  (by the way, saw Meg, my NUT, today...down 35 pounds!!  Holy effin sh*t!!!  YAHOO!!!)

Kristin

Sue M.
on 7/1/09 9:51 am - Nantucket, MA
Good job!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
kerriockey
on 7/3/09 12:37 pm - Marshfield, MA
Let me first start off by saying that I am banded.  My mother has RNY.  I had about 100 pounds to lose.  I had NO comorbidities.  My insurance would have paid for either procedure.  It was a very challenging decision for me to make.  And, since my mother has been very successful it was hard for her to imagine that I would even think of doing something different.  You need to think of what works best for you.  Both procedures are GREAT and do wonderful things for those who follow the rules.  Not being TOO overweight isn't a steadfast green light for the band.   Evaluate you eating habits.  Are you a sweet eater?  Love chips?  Anything like that you would still most likely be able to eat (in large quantities)  if you were banded.  Perhaps with RNY you would dump.? Do you tend to eat too much in bulk no matter what it is?  Then the band might help limit your intake.  Each procedure has wonderful results for different types of eaters.  Have you been to a seminar on both procedures?  My advice to you is to look at your eating habits and see which procedure would help you change that best.  There is not right answer...just an answer that is right for you.  You need to be comfortable with your decision.  I am sure you will figure it out.  Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views