New Here with a question

sarah122080
on 7/1/09 1:00 pm - malden, MA
Hello all...I am 5'3"...220 lbs...that puts my BMI at only 39...I don't have any of the other issues (that I know of) to make me a candidate for surgery.  Will I be able to find a doctor to perform this on me and will my insurance company cover it? I have BCBS PPO.  I have been overweight my entire life...I am 29 years old have tried every diet in the book :( I'm just scared to even start this process if its going to be a dead end! HELP!
KellyMASS
on 7/1/09 3:51 pm - MA

best thing I can offer is to make an appointment for a consult and see what they say - it won't hurt, I also have BCBS and I believe your BMI has to be 40 .. but I do not remember. they do look back at your weight history and dieting attempts, It's worth a shot
or go to an infomational meeting and talk a doctor there.

best of luck

Kelly 

Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

tauntonredsox33
on 7/1/09 10:58 pm - Taunton, MA
Same advise here... make an appointment worse that could happen is that your not qualified... Also check with your insurance to see what the coverage, guideiline are....

It is a long process but well worth it....
I'm going to TUFTS and wouldn't want to be anywhere else..
Best of luck and keep us posted
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
NeedhamGal
on 7/2/09 6:13 am - MA

depending where you go...they don't measure your height.
also, you can water load before your appt. you can put rolls of quarters in your pocket, wear heavy shoes to weigh yourself down.
and, no joke..the doctors scale is always more than the home scale..isn't it?
Do you have arthritis...or do your knees and legs hurt. Does it hurt to exercise. what about urinary incontiennce?  Make sure to mention these to your doc.

good luck. Joan

aliveagain
on 7/2/09 7:38 am
 Are you sure you are 5'4? I thought I was and now I am 5'3 and I made the weight requirement. I went to Tufts-- I think it is the best place ever! I also have BCBS . The doctors and all involved in the process really want to help. Be very honest- with them and yourself. Tell them all the diets you ahve been on, they will send you for a sleep test ,you may have a mild form of sleep apnea and that would help with the insurance. Good luck with your journey! It is the best thing I have ever done!
hudiman
on 7/2/09 7:42 am
If you can't get cleared with your insurance, have you heard about the Medi WeightLoss Clinic? There a few of them around this area. It is kind of expensive, but it really works. Low carb, low calorie, high protein, and vitamins, supplements and shots of B12. I have been doing that and lost 23 lbs in 2 months. I only have 30 lbs to loose though. I don't work for them but this is the only program that has worked for me. www.mediweightlossclinics.com
ejjy
on 7/6/09 12:42 am - Watertown, MA
bcbs you have to be 40 bmi if you lack comorbidities. I have BCBS of massachusetts, as long as your employer's plan doesn't specificallly rule out WLS, they should cover it.  Their medical policy #379 details the basic coverage and requirements, but again, you want to check with your specific plan to make sure your employer didn't rule it out.  You can call BCBS customer service directly and ask, it won't do any harm.

i am new to RNY and yet to see real results but right now i'd encourage you.  i wish i had been able to do this at 29, it would have spared me so much physical and mental suffering.  i'm just grateful i can get the surgery now (i'm 44).  just make sure you are addressing ALL your food-related issues.  everyone here will tell you - even with RNY so much of this process is mental.  you dont' want to get WLS and then sabotage yourself due to unaddressed emotional/psychological/behavioral issues.  not trying to scare you, just want to make sure you get help with all of it if and as needed.

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

atg106
on 8/29/09 12:09 pm
Typically the 40 BMI rule is for those without co-morbidities, but many candidates were having documented long histories of not achieving better than 35 as their BMI which usually qualifies them for the surgery.  If you have tried every diet in the book, visit a nutritionist, have her document your weight, then see if any progress ensues.  If not, you are a candidate for the surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views