Boston Health Expo

M M
on 6/28/09 9:47 pm
tauntonredsox33
on 6/29/09 12:16 am, edited 6/29/09 12:17 am - Taunton, MA
Happy Monday MM

Went with my mom and sister yesterday......  Very Very crowded but expected when theya re giving out free stuff...lol

Got to see the biggest looser WINNER from a distance but tons of people..... 

My mom and sister gave blood yesterday , I wasn't able to because I ripped out my toe nail last week so incase of any infection didn't want to chance making someone else sick but I do want to do it at some point....   It was run by the B+W the staff an volunteers where great!!!  My mom n sis got a bag with a beach towel for donating and as we were leaving one of the staff noticed I didn't have one and gave me one anyway . That was a great experience and am gald to know that what my mom n sis did will hopefully help someone in need.

Something interseting happen we were walking by a vendor that had a display of what gastric bypass looks like and the lap band and my mom n sis go oh melissa that's what your stomach is going to look like soon and the women in charge of the display started talking about her friend that had gastric bypass  and all the problems he had with the surgery and blah blah balh and I was a little taken back by her comments and looked at her and said I'm sick of hearing  all the negativity about the surgery when people know nothign about it....and walked away.. My mom looked at me and said what was that all about??   I said I'm just sick of heraing people say negative stuff about WLS and know nothing about other then hear say.... Plus she is "representing" WLS and is talking bad about WLS??       Sorry about the rambling but it just got to me...   hope that makes sense and that it's "normal" for me to feel that way right?

My sis and I played life size operation (loved taht game as a kid) which was fun they had you put on a surgical hat and had to use hand sanatizer... lol 
We had a great time got some free stuff too then we ended the day with my last feast @ P.F. Changs for a very long time :) 
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
LisaBC86
on 6/29/09 4:34 am - Bridgewater, MA
I think your feelings are normal and justified . When ever we a make a decision that we have thought about - it doesn't bode well when others try to tell us otherwise. You know this is a good decision for you so........

I am lucky - I really didn't have anyone trying to talk me out of it or anything but then again I chose to tell only a few people - and generally - I have a personality that people know - when I decide something - well that's it - and anything they say would be respectfully listened to and then dismissed so..........

Best of luck ! And hope to see you at a meeting !!

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
M M
on 6/29/09 5:40 am
That was a rep. from a hospital program?  Not a good way to sell surgery!
NeedhamGal
on 6/29/09 7:18 pm - MA
Glad you had a good time at the expo.
Don't worry about the surgery.    Years ago,the surgery wasn't as safe as it is now.  In 2004..I chose to have the band over the RNY due to the then risks and my kids were small.   Today, the risks are even less.  Back then...only 5 years ago..they did 50 percent open and 50 lap.  People with open had higher chance of wound infections, hernias, depression, longer recovery etc. With the lap rny procedure.....that is eliminated.  You are having your surgery in one of the top hospitals not only in Mass,but in the country. They use Tufts for the government clinical trials. If the doc didn't think you would make it..he wouldn't do the surgery.   That is why they do the pretesting.   As I always say, this is elective surgery. No one walks through the Emergency Room door and comes out with bariatric surgery.  The doc themselves don't really make much $ per surgery...it's the hospital that really makes out.   So..your doc isn't going to put their reputation on the line for an iffy case.     I know this sounds so non medical but it is a factor. 
Please don't worry.    You will be just fine.

joan
tauntonredsox33
on 6/29/09 5:23 am - Taunton, MA
I regreting telling anyone other then my family and close friends but oh well I'm keeping my lips shut now... lol
hope to see you soon too :)
Melissa M. 
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
tauntonredsox33
on 6/29/09 10:49 pm - Taunton, MA

Thanks girls for all your support !!!!  

Melissa M. 
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
Most Active
Recent Topics