Anyone pull a Star Jones?

thinsomeday
on 6/23/09 1:38 am - webster, MA
Hey crew -

I was just wondering if anyone either did or is choosing to not tell anyone about the surgery?  My husband and maybe 5 friends know (3 of whom has surgery).   I am really on the fence about telling my a-type super judgemental met her goal on WW's mom.  I am not sure if it is that I am embarrassed, or know that people will watch my every move around food and scrutinize my body the whole way, or that I don't want to be the poster child for anyone...yet.  Also, I don't discuss my weight and I can't imagine a "oh - but the way i am having surgery" fitting into a conversation at work.  I am a nurse and can't imagine the judgement from nurses and doctors (i don't really care what they think, but just don't feel like being the topic of discussion - or to hear them complain I will be our for a few weeks.  Argh!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and I am in therapy for my eating issues and we discuss this often...but am always left with "do what you feel is right"  I get that, but not sure still!
Thanks!
dragonfly777
on 6/23/09 2:24 am
My family knows, I asked my hubby not to tell his family.  My boss at work knows but no one else and I go back to work in 2 weeks and no doubt they will notice that I have lost some weight. Still not sure I will fess up. I was doing protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and they all saw that so I might just say I am still doing that and have cut out carbs etc.

still on the fence on it all.

poodlemama
on 6/23/09 3:00 am - MA
I told a few close friends and my boss. I did not want to hear all the reasons why i shouldn't do it, or horror stories that someone heard third hand. When you go back to work, people will suspect, but the bottom line is that it's no one's business but yours. And the few times I was asked if I had the surgery, I told people I thought it was rude to even ask.
If I wanted them to know, I would have told them.

I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

jdr1208
on 6/23/09 3:41 am - Worcester, MA
im only telling a few people, my family and a couple of friends, my nosey boss asked but he's like my dad so as soon as i said surgery he started harping on me. if anyone else asks i will say im taking better care of myself and leave it at that, however if someone says "did you have wls?" i wont lie. the reason im not comfortable telling people is my weight is and always has been very personal to me. sometimes i like to pretend people dont see my weight. i have always been very modest and introverted when it comes to weight so thats just my think. i asked my step mother not to tell anyone and so far she says she "only told 3 people but they swore to secrecy" hmph
thinsomeday
on 6/23/09 5:31 am - webster, MA
hey jdr1208

i saw you are giong thru umass - me too!  meet with dr. lauretti on july 8th then the surgeon after that.  how long was the wait between your last meeting and meeting with the surgeon?  i hate that i don't even know what month to think about!  i had someone in my weekly meetings that was already offered a date in july, aug or sept for surgery but she can't do them.  i was soooo jealous!  any tips on losing weight prior to meeting with the surgeon?  i am clearly sucking at this! 
Just Brooke
on 6/23/09 6:08 am
I will tell anyone and everyone!!! I've been judged all my life ..it's time I be judged for something POSITIVE. What is the worse someone would say to me? Actually, I did have someone say I could of lost weight "the real way" ..and I brushed her off as being jealous and ignorant.

I love talking about my WLS because if I can help someone then my job is done! I love feeling like a walking billboard hahaha.

Here is an interview I did with a blogger about Star Jones and my WLS.

lucia08
on 6/23/09 8:38 am

well because i love my surgery and i am proud of what i have become i dont care who asks what or asks how or whatever the questions because i think ive almost heard it all....even like if i had cancer because i had lost so much weight so fast without telling those i work with. i also work in a hospital  everyone should be too busy to tell what you as an individual should be doing with your body, but everyone is always so curious especially when it comes to weight its your choice if you would like to reveal your tool. i tell people very proudly that i had gastric bypass and that i worked very hard to get to that point and since my surgery  i have maintained success...its your own personal preference. dont be embarressed to say your considering surgery its your body and its your choice and you'll pay the fees and suffer all hardships and you will overcome and achieve whatever goal you set forself who cares what everyone else says.godluck and godbless

Sue M.
on 6/23/09 10:55 am - Nantucket, MA
i chose to be open with everyone.  I am lucky enough to have supportive people around me, and even those with doubts were open to hearing about why i chose this path and understood that my health was my first priority.  I realize that i am fortunate enough to have people like this in my life.  My mom's first reaction was "you can do better than that!".  What that means, I try not to focus on.  She got on board when I told her that my diabetes would be "cured" and she came with me to my first post-op appointment ( as well as many support group meetings pre-op) and was thrilled (and a bit jealous) at my normal blood sugar readings.

Certainly not everyone knew beforehand...but those who i work with regularly and my closest friends.  Since returning from medical leave I have been upfront with anyone who has asked "how did you do it?!"  i am confident and proud of my decision....and its DONE, so what is anyone gonna do about it.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
jdr1208
on 6/24/09 1:38 am - Worcester, MA
thinsomeday-
im jill btw, my case was a little different because i was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea so that has put a damper on everything. i finished my classes in february and with the exception of robyn (razzyrobyn) im sure everyone else in our class probably got an april surgery date. i cant remember who dr lauretti is, is that a surgeon? when i met with dr kelly he told me to expect a date within 4-6 weeks. since i had to have my cpap and then 4 weeks of my cpap usage before i could get surgery i called the day i got my cpap and she surprised me with a date 4 weeks out exactly. it also dependson insurance. how far along are you in this process?
feel free to pm me with anymore questions!
good luck!
jill
RazzyRobyn
on 6/24/09 3:09 am - West Boylston, MA
Yeah, Jill is right... I'm betting that most in our class have already had surgery but I have severe anemia so that has held everything up.  :(

Insurance can be a slow process too... hopefully you will be approved, Thinsomeday!

Please keep us posted! :)

RObyn
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views