cigna Ins

loripro76
on 6/16/09 11:38 pm - southbridge, MA
Anyone have cigna and have you had a problem getting aproved for suregery?
Lori
NeedhamGal
on 6/17/09 2:43 am - MA
Like with all insurances, you need to call the number on the back of your card and see if they cover the procedure or not. Some employer sponsered insurance plans do not cover bariatrics.
At one point I had Cigna with an employer exclusion. I could see the doc and they paid for that..but they wouldn't pay for surgery.

Give a call, and you should also get a reference number when you call. Another tip, start a folder or a notebook. You'll need it, as with any medical procedure.

good luck.
joan
loripro76
on 6/17/09 2:51 am - southbridge, MA
they say they will if I do XYZ.. But umass says they are hard to get a aprovel. When I talked to them they said to do 4 things and I would be covered, was wondering if anyone else had problems or if it was smooth sailing
carmelk56
on 6/17/09 8:22 pm - Somerville, MA
The plan my husband has did not cover WLS! I had to wait for Open Season with MY job to get coverage. I have BCBS Federal. I have been approved and my surgery is scheduled for 7/7! I am getting excited now and looking forward to getting control of my health.

Carmel.

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wwaUp2v/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wwaUp2v/blk-weight.png">>

loripro76
on 6/17/09 10:26 pm - southbridge, MA
did he have cigna? what plan did he have?
Kathy V.
on 6/18/09 10:40 am - MA
I HAD Cigna and they had me jump thru hoops and still denied my surgery.  I sent an appeal in and waited forever.  Since I was paying for the insurance (thru COBRA), I cancelled it, bought a Blue Cross plan and was approved in less that 24 hours.  Sorry to hear you have Cigna......if there is anyway you can change it you should.  Good Luck.....

.....kathy   

loripro76
on 6/18/09 10:51 pm - southbridge, MA
was your six month part of the whole process? meeting with the dietian and therapist? should I also be doing this with my primary care dr to, I know he has to submit a letter any info would be great.
Susan M.
on 6/18/09 10:45 pm - MA
I have Cigna and got approved.  They make you do 6 month medically supervised diet, which was not fun.  Once my doc's office submitted my paperwork I got approved within a couple of weeks.  I did have to call them to make sure they got my paperwork and they said they did not. 
so you may have to stay on top of them to make sure your paperwork is being reviewed.
Susan M.
on 6/19/09 12:52 pm - MA
Lori,

The 6 months medically supervised diet has to be with the nutritionist and your doctor.
They need to document your weight monthly and vitals etc...
The hosptial I had the surgery at had a cardiac risk reduction class that I went to.  There were doc's and nurses there, as well at the nutritionist.  They documented all my weights and vitals, as well as my ability to stick to the diet and be able to lose weight. 
The doctor and the nutritionist have to bill your visit as a "weight loss" visit. 
Hope this info helps!

Sue
loripro76
on 6/19/09 1:07 pm - southbridge, MA
I am going to umass. I met with a nut. there and she gave me a diet to follow and I am doing well. I got back in july to see her and also the counsler to. she said it would be 6 months before i saw a date for surgery, next i start the classes. so i hope me seeing the nut. at the weight lose center is what they want and the montering over the next 6 months.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views