What does the drain feel like coming out?

dragonfly777
on 6/15/09 5:28 am
I am pretty sure the drain comes out in the hospital. Its not really painful, its just weird.  I think the one tiny stich was more of a problem for me, and I am a bit of a wuss so don't freak out over that :-)
chippiepfeifer
on 6/15/09 5:41 am - amesbury, MA
Thanks for the info i'm such a baby Lisa
Lisa1483
on 6/16/09 10:38 am - Revere, MA
Hi Lisa,

The drain was placed on the lower left of my ab. Just like everybody else there was no pain, just felt very weired coming out. I just closed my eyes took my mind to a better place and told him go for it. It was out before I knew it and he just tapped it up and that was it.

Megan S.
on 6/16/09 11:57 am - Brighton, MA
Weird, is how I describe it. Having the drain actually in might have be a source of discomfort to me. They told me it would hurt coming out but it didn't at all it was just well...weird =P

I lost 27 pounds before surgery. I cut fried things out of my diet, ate alot of veggies (cooked and raw), upped my protein and lowered my carbs. Plus gym time.

~Meg
starting/surgery/current/goal -- 280/252/191.5/155

AwesomeForever
on 6/16/09 1:22 pm - Marlborough, MA
Lisa, I think you have two questions running here.
I had my surgery so long ago. I do not remember any pain with the removal of the drain...just felt like it took fifteen seconds or more as if I was in a time warp while it was coming out. It looked strange. I had watched videos of the procedure prior to the surgery and had not seen a drain removed.

I see that some go home with their drains still in place. I am glad that I did not.

The second question has to do with pre op weight loss. I did start sooner than some to lose weight prior to going for the initial consult. I went to a nutritionist that my PCP recommended because I was pre diabetic. She helped me formulate some rules to live by. Her input set me to look at how I could improve on my diet. She let me come to my own conclusions. I was happy to have her spur me on. After contacting Dr Gazmuri, I kept an appointment with her and told her of my choice to have bariatric surgery. I also visited her last July when I had my check up with my PCP to show her some good results. Her huge smile when she saw me said it all.

I was writing everything down that went into my mouth, not counting calories but using Calorie King to get an idea of the caloric values of the food I ate, eating fresh local produce, making my lunch and bringing it to work, and drinking a protein smoothie that I made for breakfast. I had previously not eaten breakfast except on Sunday mornings so by mid morning I would get the munchies. So, what I am saying is I replaced a meal that I did not indulge in with a protein smoothie that carried over until lunch time. My snacks were fresh fruit and a source of protein.

I began to eat slower. I began to chew longer. I gave up my tea, soda, and drank more water. I have to say that I was never a coffee drinker and I know that some find it hard to give up coffee.

If I went out to eat I cut off the small amount that I would be eating. I would pre cut the rest of the meat to take home and portion for future meals. I practiced not eating and drinking at the same time.

Some of these things I learned about after the initial consult with the surgeon, his nutritionist, and implemented right away.

Linda

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views