What was the worst part of your recovery from Gastric Bypass?

RazzyRobyn
on 6/14/09 9:02 am - West Boylston, MA
Since my surgery is approaching at the end of July, the recovery is weighing heavily on my mind. If you had to warn, or had a suggestion with how to handle a certain recovery issue, would you please share it? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much.

Kindly,
Robyn
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

LisaBC86
on 6/14/09 9:18 am - Bridgewater, MA
Hi, after 4-5 days - I got a really bad pain on my left side - like a pulling and had to put pressure on it when I walked - went away about 1 week later - the pain was tolerable but scared me because I was getting "better" and it was like does the New pain mean something is wrong? but no it was part of the normal healing process. Also I would HIGHLY recommend you try and decide which protein you like - because you will be to tired and emotional to do it after the fact. It gets frustrating ! But everyone is different so ......

Good luck !!!

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
NeedhamGal
on 6/14/09 10:34 am - MA
make sure you have a protien source and then a back up in case you either don't like it or it doesn't like you.   Make sure you have a friend or family member who can take you out....either to CVS for a stroll or to the park to sit on the bench. Very important so you don't get cabin fever.
If you don't have one...a cordless phone ..so you aren't jumping up and down all the time.
Otherwise...go with the notion that you will have a textbook recovery and you will!!

Good luck. Joan
CloudTree
on 6/14/09 10:42 am - Gloucester, MA
Drink all your water, whether you are thirsty or not! I did not do so, and wound up dehydrated and with my kidneys in the process of shutting down. I was in the hospital for a week! It could have been easily avoided! Good luck and best wishes on your upcoming surgery!
dragonfly777
on 6/14/09 10:47 am
Having the dry heaves in the hospital at 2:30 in the morning was probably my low point thus far, that and the naseua, its getting better but still not great.

Having the drain removed was tolerable but not my favorite thing in the world. Its over quick!
MrsMassInk
on 6/14/09 11:21 am - MA
Hey Robyn-
Something that caught me off guard was my inability to get into/out of bed.  The twisting that I had to do was not gonna happen.  Our plan B was the recliner.  Thank the Lord for that recliner because I spent the first week in it.  It worked out perfectly for me, I was able to stand up and sit down easier than on the couch, and I slept very well once I was 'in the position'.  Oh yeah, one more thing... take your pain meds - don't be a hero- take the meds.  You'll thank me later.
Tina Marie

Be the change that you want to see in the world ~ Ghandi 
Sue M.
on 6/14/09 1:16 pm - Nantucket, MA
Be patient with yourself.

I nearly had a breakdown in the supermarket because i got so tired walking around and pushing the cart.  It turns out i needed to take breaks and NOT push the cart for a while.  it seemed so silly, but I just couldn't do it. 

Also, when i started on solid food, i was also started on supplements.  All the iron, calcium and protein caused a major fiber shortage = constipation.  Check with your surgeon for their suggestions, but I was told to keep  Milk of Magnesia on hand.   I wish I knew to go with PREVENTION by adding benefiber to all my drinks.  If i could do it all over again, i'd have started on Benefiber right away.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
C49erfn
on 6/24/09 3:22 pm - NH
Sue-
Your grocery store story hits so close to home.  On day 8 post-op, I was no longer taking my pain meds (except at night) so I drove myself to Shaw's.  I was slowly pushing my carriage around the store, excited to be dressed and out of the house when all of a sudden I go so tired I had to sit on the display outdoor furniture for at least 15 minutes.  I got quite a few stares ( I may have dozed off for a minute or two). 

Robyn-
It's very easy to forget at first, not only are you healing from major surgery but you're also only getting about 300 calories a day.  (on stage 1)
So just take it slow and good luck.

RazzyRobyn
on 6/15/09 2:40 am - West Boylston, MA
Thank you all SOO Much for the information! I REALLY appreciate it.

Just counting down the days until my surgery.  :)  42!

Robyn
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Just Brooke
on 6/15/09 4:33 am
The worst part for ME was I was VERY depressed for like the first 2 months. I was such a miserable witch and complained about everything. I know my hormones were all out of whack and not being able to eat and feel "normal" really got to me too.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views