Could I have diabetes/hypoglycemia?

shygurl87
on 6/5/09 10:40 am - Fall River, MA
I know this is not a professional medical opinion and I should see my pcp (will be in a week or two) but I can't find any online nurse chat things and I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac for bringing it up to the doctor, but if there is anyone out there that has felt like this and knows what it is can you let me know. Maybe I'm freaking out or maybe it should be cause to look into. I'm a cna and so far most of the clients i take care of have even asked me if i have diabetes. Here goes:

It happens on an almost daily basis and sometimes more than once a day;

- If im standing too long (10-15 minutes) I get extremely hot and dizzy, usually its barely any movement or exercise when it happens
- I start seeing black and feel like I'm going to pass out, sometimes losing my balance and feel like i'm on a ship
- I need to sit down for a few and drink some water
- Sometimes a small snack helps
- My face turns white as a ghost and i start to lose hearing (sometimes)

This has been happening for maybe 4-6 years now, only getting worse over the past few years.
Most days it happens I am getting enough food and fluids.
And I'm not now nor have i ever been pregnant....

Thanks
Jess
rockysmom
on 6/5/09 11:33 am - Dartmouth, MA
I experience something similar, except that it usually only happens when I get up quick after lying down.  Sometimes it happens when I haven't eaten much.  This has happened to me for many years, but it never seemed serious enough to me to mention to a doctor, because it passes quickly if I sit down, drink something or eat a snack.  A few years back my primary care physician did some tests to see if I had an ulcer (which I did not have), but discovered that I was hypoclycemic.  I was told to eat small meals throughout the day.  It could also be low blood pressure thing...
M M
on 6/6/09 10:29 am
Are you post op?
shygurl87
on 6/6/09 2:36 pm - Fall River, MA
No I'm pre-op...
M M
on 6/6/09 9:25 pm
Ok.

I would definitely get things checked out then.

I only asked because hypo. AFTER surgery is common...
shygurl87
on 6/6/09 11:31 pm - Fall River, MA
Thanks..i'll have to bring it up at my next appt
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs