4 days post surgery...should i be worried (for women)

dragonfly777
on 6/5/09 4:55 am
Hello,

They took the drain out yesterday before I was discharged. I am not due for my period for 2 more weeks. Is it common for the rest of the fluids to exit through another body part? I can't tell if its coming from the urethral opening or not. When I wiped after urinating I saw the pinkish color.

I also am having pain in my right upper back, and right breast area. I spoke to the doc about that today and she gave my signs to watch out for a blod clot. Now I am not sure if I am pyschosamatic or not.

ATHiker
on 6/5/09 8:45 am - North Shore, MA
 Relax... it is VERY common for surgery to cause menstruation, even if it's NOT "that time of the month".  You may just spot a little bit, or you may have a full blown period.  Either way, it's totally, 100%, no worries at all normal.

Pain in the upper back (usually the left) is normal due to the gas expansion of the abdomen for surgery.  If you were having a blood clot in your lungs you would have pretty profound chest pain, difficulty breathing and a rapid heart rate.

Take some pain meds if you have them and rest a little bit.  If the pain persists, or you start feeling worse, then call your surgeon.

Hope this helps!

Kim
 Forever cheerful in the face of rueful odds.... 

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLSX0Lu/] [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLSX0Lu/weight.png[/img] [/url]  
dragonfly777
on 6/5/09 11:25 pm
Thanks Kim.

I did get to talk to the PA yesterday too.  My right lung still hurts but I don't have fever or rapid heart rate, just pain. I guess I just have to ride it out. Funny that the day after the surgery was my best day! Then the next day at 2"30 am I had dry heaves that really hurt. So one of the Docs team thought I would go home on Wed and I was not thinking that was an option. The doc came by later and said Thursday was fine. I wanted to know that I would have 24 hours without dry heaves.  All in all I have no complaints. Except for the first 3 hours on the floor, (4 - 7pm)  the nurses were awesome.  What a great team they have at Tufts.  Even though its a bit of a haul I feel its worth it.

I also had a hernia on (?) my esophogaus that they had to take care of so perhaps one day I can have some thai food again!

Thank you for putting my mind at ease!
tauntonredsox33
on 6/8/09 12:46 am - Taunton, MA
glad you home and hope your feeling better soon!!!!!  hope to see you @ a group meeting some day.  I see Dr Shikora tomorrow afternoon hopefully he will give me tha go ahead... I've been on the meal replacement plan since last week and hope it was worth it..lol

Get plenty of rest and take care!!!!
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
dragonfly777
on 6/8/09 1:01 am
Its hard to believe that its been a week! Anesthesia rocks! Barely remember going in the OR!

Happy to say I don't have a clot! Must have been gas pain!

He and his staff are really awesome. Out of my days there the only nurses I didn't care for where the ones I had for 3 hours my first day on the floor. The rest  were awesome!

Good luck at your appt!
Lisa1483
on 6/9/09 6:18 am - Revere, MA
Hi Dragonfly,

I had my surgery on the 3ed and whenever I am having any pain I go for a walk and it seems to help. The gas pains are the worst but after I walk it helps get it out and I feel a bit better. Today is the first day that my stomach has calmed down and is not roaring and making all kinds of noise, so I am hoping I am over that and the runs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views