Quick question about pre-op weight loss

shygurl87
on 6/4/09 3:15 am - Fall River, MA
I can't seem to reach the nutritionist so I figured I'd ask you guys.... I had my first nutritionist appt on the 18th of may and am due for my 2nd appt on the 30th of this month. My question is do I need to try to start losing weight now  before I go to my 2nd appt or if i'm having a hard time is that something that i can wait til the pre-op liquid diet to worry about. I'm just wondering how early I should start practicing everything that they tell you. As I said i have my second nut appt on the 30th and my 2nd psych appt on the 16th. If anyone can give me some advice as to when I should start the exercise, protein shakes, etc it'd be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm starting too early but after my first nut appt I started practicing the chewing thing and upping my water intake and a few other things. Ok well enough blabbing.....

Thanks

Jess

Muffin22
on 6/4/09 3:30 am
The sooner the better the more you loose now will show the Dr. and the insurance company you're committed to this new lifestyle.  Getting into the habit of exercising now will help you after come out, you'll already be doing what you're suppose to be doing then which makes it easier.  It's only a tool that better you use it the better your success will be.    Good luck.
AwesomeForever
on 6/4/09 3:49 am - Marlborough, MA
As you lose weight you shrink the internal organs...like the liver that is over your stomach. It helps the surgeon to operate with your weight loss.

I would say go for it; now is the time to get your groove on! Exercise could just mean walking purposefully extra steps can mean so much.

Linda
jdr1208
on 6/5/09 2:27 am - Worcester, MA
what i was told by my doc and as previous posts have said, start early, this is a huge lifestyle change and the sooner you begin to change your habits the easier this whole thing will be for you. not necessarily going on a liquid diet, however i have heard you want to try some and sample what sounds good so you know what you like when you get out, but exercising, and healthy eating habits. mindful eating is a great start.
Just Brooke
on 6/5/09 3:36 am
I had to lose 5% before surgery and it was required by my surgeon. I have heard of people (who use my surgeon) get denied surgery because they failed to lose. Like others have said ..it shrinks your organs which will help during surgery, so it's only for the better and it's a jump start! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views