Very new to this

lindseyxloo
on 5/30/09 5:31 am - Rockland, MA
Hi my names Lindsey and my doctor just recently told me to start thinking about getting the Lap Band surgery. I was born without a thyroid and I have always struggled with my weight and it has only gotten worse every year. I believe and so does my doctor that this surgery would be the best bet for me. I think i found the surgeon that I want to do it but i havent even made an appointment yet. I would love it if i could get any advice from you guys or even if you could tell me about your story. Im just starting my journey and I cant wait to get this rolling.
MrsMassInk
on 5/30/09 6:58 am - MA
Hi Lindsey-
I went to an information meeting that my surgeon held, with the intention of getting the Lap Band surgery.  I walked in a Lap Band girl and left a RNY girl.  The only advise I can give you is to get all the information you can before choosing a procedure or a surgeon that is right for you.  Knowledge is power.  Best of Luck!
Tina Marie

Be the change that you want to see in the world ~ Ghandi 
twinsdaddy
on 5/31/09 2:01 am - winthrop, MA
well you have already taken the first step, i also started out looking into the lap band but ended up doing the rny bypass ,to me the lap band seemed like doing something this important only half way and would take too long. i have 5 yr old twins and i was 53 yrs old i had developed 4-5 co morbities including diabities,high blood pressure,sleep apnia,hypertension etc. i was taking 9 pills in the morning and 5 at night always felt tired and sick i had reached 335lbs and im only 5 feet 8 inches tall my bypass was just 1 yr ago june 10th 08 i have lost 143lbs and have a whole new lifestyle playing and running with my kids yes!! i said running  i was in the hospatal for just 2 days and upon discharge my dr told me to throw away all my meds. because i dont need them anymore and she was right ever since then my blood suger,and b.p etc. have been better than when i was 30 the wls has saved my life and my twins have there dad back . go for it go for it all you can do it. belive me if i can do it so can you good luck and dont let anyone tell you that your looking at taking the easy way ,there is nothing easy about it ,true i was only out of work 1 week but you have close to 1 year of  all differant kinds of drs. to see before they will aprove you so dont wait get the ball rolling
lindseyxloo
on 5/31/09 3:29 am - Rockland, MA

Your story is exactly what I needed to hear. Im only 19 years old and im 320 lbs. my weight has controlled most of my life. i just had a diabetes scare and just recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea. My doctor believes this surgery would be the best bet for me. My family is very on the fence about it because it is so major, they gave me their blessing but i know they wi**** could happen naturally. But my doctor knows its somewhat impossible to do it naturally now. Im still doing my research and everything and i know this is going to be a long journey but im so very excited and so very scared at the same time. I just hope everything falls in place and i get approved, it would change everything.

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/09 11:29 pm - Ashland, MA
Hi Lindsey,

This is a process with a lot of mixed emotions.  You are going to do fine!  Glad to hear you are doing your research.  This is a great group to ask questions to and get support. 

Stasi
jdr1208
on 6/1/09 4:48 am - Worcester, MA
hi lindsay im still preop, hoping for surgery this summer. my suggestion like the others said is research. i too went into this process swearing by the lap band but left deciding on the rny. i have approx 140lbs to lose and was afraid the lap band wasnt going to be enough. ive been fat my whole life and at 28 i want my life back. i applaud you, i wish i had the courage to do this sooner. your hosp should have a step by step program youll have to follow with classes and appts, i bet youll find those really helpful. youll probably still have a ton of questions, this board is awesome for that too. good luck on your journey and keep us updated on how you're doing!
jill
lindseyxloo
on 6/1/09 9:13 am - Rockland, MA
a huge reason why im choosing lap band is because it seems safer and also because my parents. they think the ryn is too major for someone at my age. and i figure since im young i do have the time that the lap band takes but again im still doing my research. i have an information seminar coming up that i have to attend before i see a surgeon so hopefully that will help me make my final desicion. thank you all for the responses its helped me so much. again ive been overweight my whole life due to my thyroid condition and i dont want to live like this anymore. i believe this is a huge stepping stone for me
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views