I guess I should have done this first

Lisa1483
on 5/24/09 2:29 pm - Revere, MA
I am new here. My name is Lisa and I live just a little North of Boston. I have been reading this site since my doc told me that I should find and get involved with a support group. I am not very good at expressing my emotions and have a very hard time reaching out to people and letting them know how I feel or where I am at unless everything is going good.

My surgery is coming up on June 3ed, I will be having the RYN, and I am on a roller coaster ride of emotions. One minute I am happy as a clam and the next I am in tears for no reason at all.

I really don't know what to say and guess I just wanted to introduce myself and try to make some new friends that have gone through the surgery or is about to start their journey as I am.

I look forward to getting to know you all and making new friends.
antonietta23
on 5/24/09 6:14 pm - Holbrook, MA

the rollercoaster is normal.  I know how excited I was and then I would be scared.  First I was afraid of the surgery. Then I was afraid I would never eat again.  Let me tell you this has been the best thing I could ever do for myself.  I am 10 months out and 112 pounds lighter, I am able to eat, and I eat to live not live to eat.  The first month is the hardest, just getting use to the eating, and it it gets better and better.  The support here is great because it makes you feel part of a community.  You will do wonderful, it is a journey.

nicunicu2002
on 5/24/09 8:24 pm - Sharon, MA
hi Lisa...

Welcome to this site and so happy you introduced yourself.  This website is such a plethora of information and support for all of us.  Sometimes just looking thru the posts will provide comfort and support to know you are not alone and we basically all go thru the same thing.

Its very normal to have the emotions that you are having right now.  We all have gone thru this and you will continue to go thru it.  The hormone shifts afterwards can be challenging as well, so be prepared for that too.  I am 9 months out and it definately gets easier as the days go by.  The first few months were definately the hardest for me, and basically I can now eat anything that I want, with the exception on sugar.  I finally feel normal again. 

Please let us know how you are doing and feel free to ask questions anytime you feel the need to.  Welcome to the beginning of a new chapter in your life....it will be wonderful!

kim

dragonfly777
on 5/24/09 11:13 pm
Welcome!

I am two days before you for surgery so no doubt we will be going through things at the same time. It is exciting and scary at the same time.  I have my first appt with a non hospital therapist to help me through it all. It does seem daunting at times.
tauntonredsox33
on 5/25/09 11:56 pm - Taunton, MA
Hi dragonfly,  I noticed your Dr I meet dr shikora on june 9th and should get my date then, very exciting and scared as heck..lol 

The non-hospital therapist your meeting with do they specialize in food addiction?  What town are they located in??  I'm trying to find someone myself

Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
LisaBC86
on 5/25/09 12:47 am - Bridgewater, MA
Congrats you have taken the first step !!! You are conncecting !! I had my RYN on April 13, 2009 and I noticed your Dr. is the same as mine !! So first off I loved him - didn't spend a lot of time with him but what time I did he was kind and personable. The people here are amazing and the woman who suggested just reading posts is so right - you feel like "What's wrong with me - why am I feeling like this? " Then you read through and find lots of people went through the same thing - so you feel a little better !!
My surgery was 6 weeks ago today - and I'm still on a bit of a roller coaster - but so much better - everyone asks me how I'm feeling - and I tell them honestly - "A little better everyday" I have a very "Build a Bridge and Get over it attitude" - feel like you gotta just pick yourself up - but I really had to cut myself some slack with this surgery and allow myself time to get over the bumps.
I can't say it was all worth it yet - to soon - but I have faith I will be able to say that !!
So we're here if you need something !! 

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
ejjy
on 5/25/09 3:46 am - Watertown, MA
welcome to the board, i'm pre-approval right now myself, and having similar emotions - excited one minute, scared the next.  but overall i am looking forward to getting my life and my health back on track, and the folks here have been so incredibly helpful.  i'm glad you posted even though it's difficult.  i find once i do reach out it's easier to continue.
jayner
on 5/25/09 5:02 am - Littleton, MA
Lisa,

Welcome to the board. You will get lots of support here. My surgery was just over a year ago. I had it because of my diabetes. I was taking seven pills daily for diabetes alone. When I left the hospital three days after my surgery - no more diabetes meds! If I didn't lose any weight at all, I would still consider the surgery a success.

Please share your thoughts here - it is a very accepting group.

Jayne

CATHERINE81
on 5/25/09 9:39 am - BROCKTON, MA

HELLO THERE WELL WELCOME IM CATHERINE AND I HAD MY GASTRIC BYPASS 5/18 AND I DONT REGRET IT I AM SORE BUT THATS MAINLY IT. ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW.. YOU WILL FINALLY GET COMFORABLE HERE ONCE YOU READ INFO AND ASK QUESTIONS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS AND GOOD LUCK.

Sue M.
on 5/25/09 12:11 pm - Nantucket, MA
Welcome!

We are lucky to have a good board here in MA.  I also recommend the RNY board for surgery specific information.

I truly believe that people who stay connect to other people who have had surgery have the most success.  We pick eachother up when we fall "off the wagon" so to speak. 

Just about any emotion you have is normal.  You are heading towards a major life change, and that is both exciting and scary.  Ask questions or just read posts - you will learn a lot!

Sue

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views