New to the site... looking into Tobey Hospital

jezzabelle81
on 5/22/09 12:48 pm - Fall River, MA
Hello....

I am very new to this site... I've been thinking about having gastric bypass for quite some time now.  I have an information session June 10th, and will be going through Tobey Hospital.  Is there anyone on this site that have gone through Tobey Hospital that can talk to me about their experiences?  Thank You!!!
grayhair51
on 5/22/09 11:16 pm
I had RNY at Tobey Hospital on Dec.4,'08 . I've lost 66 lbs so far and was very happy with the whole experience. Drs.Krueger (my surgeon) and Streeter are very experienced,but they are quite busy so don't expect a lot of time with your surgeon at appt's. However,their staff is great and happy to answer questions,take their time with you. Their program has specific pre-op criteria...you have to go to classes,psych eval,nutritionist eval ,office appt's,gall bladder scan,chest Xray,blood work and follow thru,post-op, with blood work,appt's and support. The nurse's at Tobey were terrific! I'm an RN myself and was very pleased with the care provided post-op. They are experts in post-op care for gastric by-pass surgery and were wonderful at meeting all my needs,friendly,very supportive and professional. The OR staff itself was also terrific,no problems,no nausea (ask about anti-nausea med if inclined to nausea,it can be given during surgery so no problems in recovery) The hospital itself is old,so don't expect a lot of modern conveniences. But the OR is state-of-the-art,the care is top notch and I am so very pleased I had my surgery at Tobey vs. the hassles of getting to and from Boston. I live on Cape Cod. I have no second thoughts or regrets and would recommend this program. 
Best of luck!!
jezzabelle81
on 5/23/09 1:57 am - Fall River, MA
Thanks for your reply! Congrats on the 66 lb weight loss, you must be so happy!  And thanks for all the information! How long would you say it took between your consult and the surgery?
aidansmom2001
on 5/24/09 10:19 am
Hi.  I went to my information session in January and have had all but my last appt. with Dr. Streeter.  I am enrolled in the June educational classes and will begin on June 9 for 4 weeks.  I hope to be banded in July.  So far the doctor, nurses, medical assistants and all of the staff that I have met at Tobey Hospital have been wonderful.  The nutritionist I had, Tia, was so nice.  The psychologist that completed my assessment, Suzanne, was also very nice.  I really have no negative things to say about my journey thus far.  I wish you the best of luck.  Please keep in touch.  This weight loss journey is so much more enjoyable with friends. 

Redsoxgirl36
on 5/25/09 9:16 am, edited 5/25/09 9:18 am
Hi my name is Lori and my surgeon is Dr. Kruger all the staff have been very nice so far. I have Tufts Health Insurance so I have to go through a six month program called I Can Change so it has taken me a little while.I have my second pyscology appointment with Anne Harris she is very sweet and that is on Friday and I am hoping to be in the July classes the June classes filled up quickly. So hopefully I will have my surgery in August. But I know a few people who have had there surgery at Tobey and has no complaints either. Good luck and keep me posted.
jezzabelle81
on 5/25/09 10:43 am - Fall River, MA
Ohhhh thanks for the reply! I used to have Tufts too, and I remember them telling me I had to do the I Can Change program, and I never actually followed through with it... but I am SO READY now! I'm glad that all the staff seems so nice... that's what I've been hearing.  That makes me feel better! Please keep me posted too on your process.....
Redsoxgirl36
on 5/27/09 11:07 am
I have one phone call left from the I Can Change program  on July 1st and then I am done with the six month program. Thank God !!!!!! It has been a long progress with Tufts.. Keep in touch and keep me posted on your progress.

Lori  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views