chewing gum

malonsonm
on 5/19/09 10:20 pm
I had RNY on 3/16/09 and am about to travel this weekend for Memorial day. I always used to chew gum on flights, but I thought I remember my surgeon saying something about not being able to chew gum or that i shouldnt true gum. Is this right, or did i make that up in my head? I cant remember what he said, but i dont want to chew it if i shouldnt be. If im not supposed to be what is the reason?
Just Brooke
on 5/19/09 10:35 pm
I was told no gum for 3 months <---I think.

But I'm 12 months out now and chew gum daily. If your doctor said no gum I would listen to him. It can get stuck in your pouch that is why they say no gum.

Magyargal
on 5/20/09 5:05 am
Hi there,
        Dr Ameri told me No chewing gum period! Because it can cause air bubbles in our new pouch. Also say God forbid we accidentally swallow it! We'd be in serious trouble! On Planes it can easily happen if they go through any tabulation! How are you doing? I have a really rough surgery and was in the hospital almost 2 weeks. Are you going to go to the next meeting? Take care, Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

jdr1208
on 5/20/09 6:25 am - Worcester, MA
one of my post op friends said she cant chew gum anymore cuz she had a tendancy to swallow it but a friend of hers who didnt still chewed it. my friend however used to chew on an ice cube when the plane was taking off, its just the movements of the jaw that help ward off ears popping and headaches and such. so she would either chew on an ice cube or eat a small piece of fruit to help it, like apple slices or some pieces of melon, something she could work on in her mouth.
good luck!
Kathy V.
on 5/21/09 7:51 am - MA
I flew to New Orleans a month ago (4 month post-op) and chewed gum both ways.  The only real scare is if you swallow it.  I chew it alot now.  Enjoy your VACA.....

.....kathy   

dragonfly777
on 5/23/09 3:27 am, edited 5/23/09 3:27 am
you can also drink water or any beverage, I used to do that with my babies when they were little and it had the same effect as gum would on their ears. For that matter you can just make the chewing motion that you would with gum.
ejjy
on 5/23/09 1:48 pm - Watertown, MA
i absolutely can't chew gum without swallowing it.  my surgeon is probably going to find my intestines lined with sugarfree cinnamon gum when he tries to do the bypass.  i can just see him lifting his hands over my prone body with strings of gum stretching upward all over his surgical gloves going... wtf????  anyway my understanding is that you can block yourself up if you swallow it after WLS so i'm guessing better safe than sorry.  i haven't had gum in years b/c i developed TMJ and now gum gives me wicked bad headaches.   sorry if it's a bummer to you now.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views