got a good therapist?

ejjy
on 5/18/09 5:01 am - Watertown, MA
looking for a good therapist in the metrowest area-ish (I live in Watertown) who is ideally also knowledgeable about WLS and maybe also PTSD and that type of thing.  Anyone have a therapist they really like and care to post the therapists name?  Maybe my insurance will cover them.
ejjy
on 5/18/09 9:36 pm - Watertown, MA
*crickets*

man... this area needs some good counselors!
Just Brooke
on 5/18/09 11:01 pm, edited 5/18/09 11:01 pm
I know several people who are looking for therapists ....I don't think many are out there who know about WLS.

What about someone who deals with eating disorders? I know it's different but they work with people who emotional eat and have body image issues - which is very common after WLS.

ejjy
on 5/22/09 9:26 am - Watertown, MA
eating disorders might be ok, i like someone who's educated about things, but i dont' want someone whose going to try to label me either and can only see things through one particular lens.  that just depends on the therapist though.  really  mostly i just want a good therapist!  i can educate them if they'll let me!  LOL
tauntonredsox33
on 5/22/09 6:42 am - Taunton, MA
I've been trying  to find the same thing but they are all family, marriage substance abuse counsleing ( guess food addiction would qualify it;s my drug of choice) lol  Noone realy that specialized in food addiction....  I have a great therapist at tufts only met once so far for the program but it's a pain in the neck to get there. would like someone locally also...     plus i feel i need extra help..  I see her on June 2nd and I'll ask if she knows of anyone in my area and your that she could recommend.... I tried calling my health Insurance they were no help
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
ejjy
on 5/22/09 9:23 am - Watertown, MA
yeah i've gotten a few referrals over the last few years (just for generally good therapists) but none of them were covered by my insurance.  evidently it's gotten very hard in massachusetts for newer therapists to get accepted by the various plans.  it's not just automatic.  not good for us consumers.  i wish duval would do something about it! 
Sue M.
on 5/22/09 1:01 pm - Nantucket, MA
i love my therapist.  she has been great for me long before i considered WLS and she was not particularly knowledgeable about it.. but she sure is now! She is located in Waltham, which should be reasonable for you to get to. 

I'd be happy to tell you about her other areas of expertise and name/number if you are interested, just send me a PM.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
ejjy
on 5/22/09 9:51 pm - Watertown, MA
thanks Sue, Waltham is real close, I sent ya a PM this morning.
dragonfly777
on 5/23/09 3:24 am
Dr. Gerber at Tufts recommended a psycho therapist, I don't know if that helps you in your search. She did say if I needed one she had referrals.  If your hospital has a psychiatrist I am sure they could off the same service. I just found one myself recently in my area, I searched for psycho therapist in my area.

Good Luck!
ejjy
on 5/23/09 12:44 pm - Watertown, MA
thanks ; )  i have been getting those kind of referrals and haven't hooked up with anyone i really connected with.  my best experiences have always been with counselors i got referred to by their own clients.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views