Less than 3 weeks til surgery - Questions

dragonfly777
on 5/8/09 9:06 am

I had my date 2 weeks ago but I wasn't totally convinced it was accurate. June 1 it is!!

My boss has been great and we have short term disability so she said to take 4 - 6 weeks off. No problem there!! I had told her that I would feel better about going back to work once I was eating foods a little bit so hopefully the timing will work out. I didn't tell my coworkers, I wanted to wait.  Did you all tell your coworkers?

The only slight ripple is that my surgery is at 8:30am ( first of the day) and I have to be there by 6:30 am so my ride is a bit iffy on that portion as Tufts is a bit of a ride, but no traffic that time of day. I might rent a room in the city the night before and just make it easy on myself and others.

As another member mentioned I have been going through last supper syndrome and sick with a sinus infection and not working out and I have to lose 10 lbs by 5/21. If I dont' lose the weight do they really postpone the surgery? The surgeon didn't require it, but at the 2nd appt with the regular Doc there I mentioned I didn't have my surgery date at the end of our appt so she sent an email saying i was cleared with her and she added in about losing the 10 lbs, which gave me 4 weeks to do so.  Is that typical at Tufts?

Thank you!

nicunicu2002
on 5/8/09 8:43 pm - Sharon, MA
hi Dragon!!

Congrats on the upcoming surgery.  Its a very exciting journey and one that will amaze you as well.

Regarding the requested 10lb weight loss, I believe most docs request/prefer you to lose some weight before surgery in order to shrink your liver for easier accessability during surgery.  They should have provided you with diet options/information regarding what to do.  I think most of us were on 2 liquid meals a day (protein drink or something like sugar free carnation instant breakfast) and 1 well rounded meal per day.  For me the weight came off easily and I was on it for 2 weeks prior to surgery.

I did tell my co-workers about the surgery (Im a nurse and work in a hospital) and had wonderful support.  I continue to receive support and encouragement from my peers and Ive never regretted sharing the information.  In fact, its been surprising how every week someone will tell me about a friend, relative etc that they wish could have the surgery, so Ive been able to share information with them.....its all good.

Good luck in your upcoming surgery.  Let us know if you have any more questions.

Kim

Lisa1483
on 5/12/09 1:30 pm, edited 5/12/09 1:36 pm - Revere, MA
Hi Dragonfly,

I was talking about last super syndrome but I notice when I tell somebody about it, it kind of lets up.  I start my two-week liquid diet tomorrow and have surgery June 3. I try to keep telling myself that it is not the last time I will be able to have anything that I really like, I just won’t be able to have it for awhile. From what I hear, after surgery you really don’t think about all those things that you are trying to get in at the last minute. 

If your infection is still with you the week of surgery call your doctor. I have been walking around like everybody is contagious or something and praying I do not get sick before hand.   

Hope you feel better and just remember you will be able to have all those last supper syndrome things again, just not in a large amount. 

Good Luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views