sleep study

jdr1208
on 5/8/09 5:11 am - Worcester, MA
so... i have to have a sleep study, did anyone else have one at umass? at all? from everything ive read they hook you up to all sorts of crazy wires and stuff, how did you sleep? i cant imagine being comfortable. im so conscious of everything that touches me in my sleep (except my cat who will use me as a jungle gym and i wont wake up because im so used to it) but what if i try to wipe all that crap off my face and from my hair, i have a hard time with so much as sleeping with a pony tail in. but im sure im not the first person who is like that so did anyone else have a sleep study? and anymore insight you can lend me other than whats on the paper?
thanks!!!
ejjy
on 5/8/09 6:30 am - Watertown, MA
i have had a couple done, although not at umass.  it was not as bad as i though it would be in terms of being in a strange place, etc.  you may not sleep real well but they will be able to get what they need, you'd be surprised.  the two i did were in different locations, one was in a hotel set up with a special wing that was a sleep lab, the other in a standard hospital type room. 

you pack up your stuff for the night (bring shampoo, if they let you shower and you plan to, because you may want to wash your hair in the morning and they may not supply it.  or bring a hat, which is what i did).  bring loose-fitting pjs you don't mind wearing in front of other people.  it takes them anywhere 30-45 minutes to attach all the leads n stuff to your head, etc.  they may also put a little sensor under your nose.  that bugged me more than anything else.  i can't remember if it was to monitor temp or oxygen level.

after they finish hooking me up they left the room ad just left me alone.  so it wasn't like people were standing over me watching me sleep.  i didn't worry much about the camera.  

i brough****er and a small snack, they were fine with that (i can't sleep if i'm hungry or thirsty).  i got up several times to go to the bathroom, it's not an issue, you just drag the little cart with you and drag it back to the bed.  no need to call them in.  i just sat up and read until i was finally sleepy enough to go to sleep.  i was up and down all night, but that was fine with me because that's how i always am and i wanted them to see that.

i was supposed to be out by 7am, but i woke up at 6 and they let me leave, no issue.

i brought: a book, my favorite pillow (that really helped), a thick tank top, some sweat pants, slippers, a change of underwear, a bottle of water, and a hat.  i really think having your own pillow helps, but maybe that's just me.
purplefans
on 5/9/09 1:16 pm - MA
Hi - sleep study I had was a little different from above - in that I had to call them each time I had to go to the bathroom!  (what a pain!).

the 2nd study was with the mask on, I was diagnosed with apnea - I already knew I really snored! 

On the bright side - really bright side - I stopped snoring one week after surgery!   Unbelievable!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views