passover?

jdr1208
on 4/7/09 3:14 am - Worcester, MA
ok even though im still pre op, ive been trying to stick to a healthy diet. being jewish and passover coming up im sure this will make it harder... i saw that there was a jewish forum on here but it has been dead for over a year. so i figured id go out on a limb and ask here if anyone was jewish... how do you deal with passover? the matzos alone thats full of carbs. how do you deal with the holidays (i guess in any religion) and sticking to your post-op (or even the pre-ops for that matter) diet?

quick update on me, i had my pcp visit yesterday and she didnt see the need for a sleep study and faxed a note to umass saying she was clearing me for surgery, so i guess now im just waiting for the call to make an appt, but i still have to pay off the remainder of the $350 for the classes. ug, i wonder if that will postpone me getting an appointment...
Sue M.
on 4/7/09 3:30 am - Nantucket, MA
not Jewish, but have gone through Thanksgiving, christmas, New Years, Valentine's day, vacation and anniversary so far!  The reality of post-op life doesn't change after surgery.  Protein first.  Carry a bottle of water wtih you everywhere.  Bring WLS friendly dishes to family gatherings so that you KNOW there will be something you can eat safely. 

I don't believe you are required to eat Matzo during passover, so just avoid "bready" carbs altogether.  you can eat all the meat and veggies you want. 

I ate a bite (literally) of cake at Thanksgiving and made some sugar free peanut butter balls for Christmas.  i have not felt left out, and my family has happily accomodated my desire to have fat free gravy, or veggies not drowning in butter. 

If you are able to, enjoy a little bit of whatever your guilty pleasure is.  My long-term goal is to eat EVERYTHING, just in the right amounts.  The irony is that many things no longer taste good when i try them.  I will have a bite of my sister's birthday cake (not a whole slice) and some no sugar added ice cream for dessert at Easter. 

So enjoy!  moderately.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Just Brooke
on 4/7/09 7:42 am
I'm not Jewish but I've gone through Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Memorial Day, and so on. BBQ's galore LOL!

Whatever the event is I stick with protein first. Typically any gathering/party I go to meat is involved. And usually a fruit and veggie platter is available. But I've also learned to call and see what is being served. My Grandma's meats are always dry and I can't eat them, so I'll either bring my own thing or just skip the meat.

Magyargal
on 4/8/09 10:59 am
Hi There.. go to RNY board. There are many Jewish folks there to help.. I not  a practicing Jew..

My Mom never told me us she was Jewish! I found out right before my Grandpa died. He told me! So many of my family died in the Holocaust. So my my family came to America from Hungary.. They never told anyone they were Jewish. But I always suspected we were Jewish! My Mom always wore the Star of David. Happy Passover to you. Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views