Anyone know why DS is not done in MA

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/09 3:13 am

I am scheduled for a Lap RNY on may 4th, but have been reading about how great long term effects and minimal weight regain of DS patients.  If it was done in MA i would definetly opt for DS procedure.  Also if anyone has had success for 3 years or more with keeping weight off with RNY please post your success and trials to give hope to rebut all the negative of RNY long term.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/09 10:27 pm
Your success is based on how you work the tool. If you are determined you can do it- it's a lifetime battle.

As far as why the DS is not performed in MA- well it's a newer surgery and RNY is the "gold standard" so that is why its more popular. You can go elsewhere around the coutry for the DS and people do.. its personal decision.
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/09 3:53 am
Im going to rely to your PM here...

People are going to post negativity against the RNY because

1) people with DS feel the need to defend their surgery...as well as other surgeries, its natural....
2) statistics are just that- you CAN keep your weight off for life if you WANT to and WORK at it... with DS, RNY, VSG etc etc!
mipo1
on 4/16/09 2:29 am - Lowell, MA
My guess is that is's a money issue  because it ties up an OR for longer than a RNY. It really surprises me too because so many people go out of state and get it done.   To be sure it's a training issue too.  Dr's have to learn how to do it from an experienced surgeon and that's time out of their established practices, and that's a money issue too   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views