set back- UPDATE

jdr1208
on 4/7/09 11:40 pm, edited 4/14/09 2:25 am - Worcester, MA
so i may not be able to jump on the losers bench soon if at all. my husband lost his job yesterday (on his 30th birthday none the less). we had insurance through him and they will only carry it out through the end of the month. the surgeons havent sent the paperwork in for a formal approval yet so its not considered pre existing. i dont think... ive been working on the hospitals as well as the insurances program to be approved and im at the end just waiting for the surgeon to call me for a consultation to set a surgery date. so unless they can get me in under the knife in the next 3 weeks... yeah i dont think thats going to happen. so here i am, playing the waiting game indefinitely. i can get insurance from my company but i dont know how that affects this. i am waiting for a call back from our benefits department to let me know what our options are as far as insurance goes.
Sue M.
on 4/8/09 1:37 am - Nantucket, MA
Very sorry to hear this.  If your own employer's insurance doesn't cover it, could you Cobra your husband's insurance for a while to get you through the surgery?

*fingers crossed*
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
thinsomeday
on 4/8/09 1:46 am - webster, MA
so sorry to hear he lost his job.  i was going to suggest the same thing - COBRA.  is mass, since you have to have ins - i am sure you can get right back into something - but the question is who do they bill it to, perhaps that can all be settled without having to halt the process.  i am a firm beleiver that 99% of the things we worry about don't happen...so maybe they will just proceed and bill whomever you get.  will you have to switch doctors too?  did your current company give you any advice?
NeedhamGal
on 4/8/09 6:44 am - MA
If you can swing the cobra...do it. I believe in Mass when you get laid off they pay for 75% of cobra vs. going on the state health plan.
It would most likely be cheaper than another plan.
Also, let's say hubby gets a new job in short order...what if the new health plan doesn't cover bariatrics...or if there is a 20% co pay.  This cobra $ might be small money after all.
Sorry for the lay off, they aren't pritty at all.
joan
RazzyRobyn
on 4/13/09 12:18 pm - West Boylston, MA

I am so sorry to read about your situation!  How did you make out with your HR office?  Thinking of you!

Robyn

Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

AwesomeForever
on 4/13/09 5:48 pm - Marlborough, MA
I am so sorry that your husband lost his job.

If you need prayers and support you will find it here.

I did not know anything about health plans. I hope you can keep on with your doctor.

Three weeks is too soon for my surgeon. He wants you to complete a series of seminar or support groups and have a complete work up including psyche exam. It all takes time.

Linda
jdr1208
on 4/14/09 2:25 am - Worcester, MA
UPDATE-
so... i selected insurance through my  company. i got bcbs blue care elect ppo. does anyone know of it? it was the most expensive on there and i think it covers a lot of things. the insurance we had before was bsbc excellus of rochester ny... so im thinking bcbs should be about the same. anyway, no job for my husband yet. he had an interview in RI on friday. he's been talking about wanting to move there because its cheaper. i wouldnt mind, or even living on the line. as long as i can get to a commuter rail since i work in boston.
im still waiting for the surgeon to call with my appt for consultation to set up a date. i still have to make a payment from my classes though so thats probably holding me back too. just with my husbands sudden loss of a job its been really tight around here. im nervous because ive been through all the steps up until the surgeon appt to pick a date and im so scared that with the new insurance they will make me start all over again.
so despite what some rude girl said on another forum, ive been doing the wii fit, and i got on last night and lost another 4lbs in the past week. im stoked!!! im just crossing my fingers. i'll update again soon.
ukgirl
on 4/22/09 4:58 am - Milford, MA
I have bcbs PPO and had no problems with them at all.  Once my surgeon had my psych eval, my nut organised and I attended a seminar I was all set.  I started the process in November with phone calls saw all of the evals in December and was in for surgery Jan 29th.

Good luck, hope hubby finds something soon

INDEPENDANCE DAY CHALLENGE

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views