We need you.

M M
on 4/5/09 1:18 am

Keep an eye out!

DSC_0993

Walk Logo Circle
It's nearly time to organize for the 2009 Walk From Obesity

There are walks all over the US (so go join one!) and here in Massachusetts, I figure we will hear a date/location very soon. 

I plan on participating again as I have in the last two years.  I had my own little team previously, little is the operative word

(Although, I must say, size isn't everything, we raised quite a hunk of money for a very. small. group.)  This year, WE NEEDZ MOAR PEOPLE.  I will announce where you can join (or donate to) my team as soon as there is a location set.  There is a possibility that we're going to merge my team with a bigger team - and the more the merrier!

So, if you're anywhere near the area, (Last year it was held in Lowell, MA during September) - I had better see your butt signing up and joining us.  No excuses.

Here's a training plan from the OAC for those who may need to ramp up to the walk.  It's a gentle, short walk, however many people feel uncomfortable or uneasy when they hear "WALK?!"  No, this ain't no 5K guys, it's a very short walk, done at your own pace.  People who are pre-op WLS, post-op and NON-OP can do it.  :)

Participating in the Walk from Obesity is a great way to support the missions of the ASMBS Foundation and OAC to improve the lives of millions of people suffering from obesity. With your help, we can educate the public, our government, and medical professionals about the devastating effects of the disease, and provide support for ongoing research into safe and effective treatments.

This is also an opportunity for you to begin an exercise program that can improve your health and the quality of your life!

If you do not already exercise regularly, follow the simple steps below to begin a gentle walking program that will prepare you for the Walk from Obesity, and introduce you to the benefits of regular physical activity.

1. Check with Your Doctor.

Check with your physician before beginning this, or any other, exercise program. It is important to start slowly and make sure there are no medical conditions that could put you at unnecessary risk.

2. Learn to Exercise Safely.

Learn to find your pulse and calculate your target heart rate (see the "Monitoring Exertion" sidebar at right). Remember to check your heart rate before, during, and after exercise to make sure that you are receiving aerobic benefit while avoiding overexertion.

If you develop any of the following symptoms, discontinue your exercise session and contact your physician immediately:

• tightness or pain in the chest or surrounding areas
  • severe breathlessness
  • feeling lightheaded or dizzy
  • loss of muscle control
  • nausea or vomiting

3. Plan to Succeed.

It can be difficult to start exercising regularly, especially after a long period of inactivity. Your chances of success will increase by recognizing this fact, and planning to make your walks as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

• Wear the right clothing and footwear. Choose comfortable, lightweight, loose clothing that does not interfere with your breathing. Avoid materials like polyester and vinyl, which do not "breathe" and could prevent your body from cooling itself. Wear professionally-fitted, good quality walking or running shoes. Injury or discomfort caused by inappropriate footwear will spoil an exercise program, no matter how motivated you are!
  • Choose a pleasant setting. Exercise does not mean having to suffer! If you are planning to walk, pick routes that you will enjoy. Attractive surroundings, the sounds of birds or water, the smells of flowers or cut grass can all improve your mood and help to make exercise a more positive experience.
  • Walk with a friend. Walking with a friend, or in a group, can make the activity more enjoyable. You can motivate and encourage each other and make sure that all involved are exercising safely.
  • Take it one step at a time. Don't focus exclusively on long-term goals. If you get discouraged and stop exercising, you will never reach your goal! Your program is a process of achieving results in small, realistic steps. If you stick with it, you will be amazed at what you can achieve!

4. Warm Up.

A simple three to five minute warmup routine to slowly raise your heart rate and gently stretch your muscles can significantly reduce the danger of injury during exercise.

Start by walking in place, to loosen your hips and increase blood flow to your mucles and joints. Breathing deeply and easily, incorporate some gentle arm swings and shoulder rolls to help relax your upper body.

5. Walk!

The following 10-week program is a gentle introduction to walking for exercise. By the end of it, you should have no problem completing the Walk from Obesity -- and enjoying the event!

I really hope you're going to consider joining us this year. 

txbunny930
on 4/7/09 5:41 am - MA
This is not only a great walk to participate in but a great way to get your family involved too.  Beth, you'll see me again walking and helping to promote this walk.  There is NO excuse for anyone not to get involved.  There is something for everyone and it's rain or shine. 

Beth may have had a little team but she sure packed a punch with getting donations.  We need both.

So join the WFO this year.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

Just Brooke
on 4/7/09 9:18 am
I was registered last year but my 9 yr old was home sick that whole week, and it was raining. I wasn't going to be bring her in the rain and sick. BUT ...we will definitely register again this year, hopefully no one will be sick!

Magyargal
on 4/8/09 11:13 am
I sure hope I can join this year year! I have a friend who went to it last year. That is all he talked about for weeks. So maybe this year will be my time to join in too! Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

M M
on 4/8/09 11:14 am
SUPER!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs