pre op diet ? going to umass

marcie B.
on 4/4/09 10:55 am
ok lets see if i can explain this .....when i got the call with my date for surgery they also had a bunch of other info for me...like my date for pre op testing and two week follow up and the night before surgery.. but she also told me i had to do a four day liquid diet prior to surgery cause thata how they clean you out.. she also said i would be getting a booklet in the mail too that would tell me what i could eat... so i get the booklet and it says water, apple juice ,sprite and black tea and coffee. So i wait a few days and call and asked if i could have chicken broth and sf jello...the nurse prac called me back and when i asked the ? she told me there is no four day liquid diet and wanted to know who told me that.... i told he the receptionist deb did when she called me with my date.. so now i don'/t know what to do ....everyone in my family says listen to the nurse pract not the recep...but i don't want to mess anything up..... wht would you guys do...... im confused and now scared im gonna screw it up....
marcie
Brenda T.
on 4/4/09 11:01 pm - MA

I went to Umass... No liquid 4 day diet... There was a 24 hour liquid before surgery.. Call again.. Whatever surgeon you have you will be able to talk to his nurse.. Then do what they say.. But ask again just so you are clear...

But I was on NO liquid diet (only 24 hours) and they don't do a bowel prep either

surmisez
on 4/5/09 12:02 pm - Worcester, MA
Hi, my surgeon is Dr. Czerniach, too.  My surgery is tomorrow morning.  Yippee!!!

I was told by the Dr. Czerniach, the nurse, and the scheduler that I was to have a clear liquid diet the day before surgery and nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

They told me that the clear liquids I could have are water, black coffee/tea, popcicles (no red or purple), jello, broth, and clear fruit juice.

So, the receptionist that told you to fast for four days is mistaken.  You should call Dr. Czerniach's nurse, Robin Mason, and touch base with her.

Best wishes for your surgery and God bless!

Ciao!
Tina

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views