I just got my surgical consult appointment!!

RazzyRobyn
on 3/30/09 10:28 am - West Boylston, MA
I can't believe I finally have an appointment!!  Now I just need to wait until April 30th to meet the surgeon!  I can't wait!! I am afraid to get excited... I want this so badly!

Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

antonietta23
on 3/30/09 10:12 pm - Holbrook, MA
It is a process , you have taken the first steps,  I know when I made the decision I wanted the surgery that day .  Everyone on have different criteria and my advice is to take it one step at a time and before you know it the day is here,  Best of Luck
jdr1208
on 3/30/09 11:11 pm - Worcester, MA
oh my god robyn im so excited for you!!! apriul 30th seems like forever away but really, its not, you are so close! im so jealous! haha!
RazzyRobyn
on 3/31/09 3:11 am - West Boylston, MA
I can't believe it!! Who have you picked for your surgeon? It sounds like I will have Dr. Kelly. I know, it feels like it's forever away and at the same time, it's really close!!

Please keep me posted on your progress!!
jdr1208
on 3/31/09 4:47 am - Worcester, MA
my first surgical consult was with gitkind and my next appointment they said would be with gitkind so maybe he's my surgeon? i honestly dont know... i didnt know i had to chose, but in all honesty i heard nothing but fantastic things about the entire umass weight center surgeon staff that id be happy with whoever can get my in the quickest. i have to get an approval from my pcp on monday. how long after the behavioral did you get a call for the appointment? you are so far ahead of me it seems already that if your appointment isnt until apr30th then i  probably looking at some time in may and surgery hopefully in june? i was hoping for a may surgery but who knows. i havent told my work yet, i was hoping to take 3 weeks off. but my boss is going away may20-june5 so i have to plan around that. lame! but im going to see depeche mode in july so im hoping ill be ok to by then!
RazzyRobyn
on 3/31/09 5:13 am - West Boylston, MA
The only reason I am "ahead" is that I had my sleep study taken care of back in October.  It sounds like you are getting that taken care of with your PCP.  Anyway, I waited over 3 weeks after being cleared by the behaviorist before getting a call from the surgeon's office.

Yeah, at the Pre-surgical skills class I remember them telling us that we could choose a surgeon if we wanted to. I have heard the same thing, all of the surgeons are great. Dr. Gitkind is my physcian in the weight center, but I don't believe he is a surgeon.

Lucky you to on your upcoming concert!!

Please keep me posted!
jdr1208
on 3/31/09 5:50 am - Worcester, MA
haha you know what? that would totally make sense no wonder i couldnt find him on the list of surgeons! haha. where in worcester around do you live? im wondering how much time i'll have to take off work, ug i havent told them yet!
thinsomeday
on 3/31/09 11:19 pm - webster, MA
wow - that is awesome!!  i wonder how ling it is between that meeting and getting a date?  and then how far off is the surgery date i wonder? 

i meet with dr lauretti tomorrow to hopefully be cleared for the pre surgery skills class.  do you think my classes will be in april or do they book far out?  then after those 4 weeks, you meet with dr lauretti again, then cleared again then the surgeon appt?  i am trying to figure out the process - and have no clue what to tell work to try to arrange thing.  not sure if i should call hr and say "i am having surgery...but not sure when" is just sounds bad...then i am afraid if i don't i will get my surgery date only a few weeks in advance and work will be pissed i just sprung it on them! 

how long have your processes been?  i met with dr. gitkind dec. 5th - so i am considering that my start i suppose.

thanks!
jdr1208
on 3/31/09 11:26 pm - Worcester, MA
thinsomeday- if the classes arent full then i dont see why they wouldnt be able to put you in for this month. if so you can definitely get may classes. and im totally right there with you with telling work. like i want to tell my boss but he's got a big mouth and id like to keep it as discreet as possible and it would be so much easier to say "ok i need to file for short term dissability for 3 weeks i am having surgery on such and such a date so i will need it off" rather than "so im having surgery but i dont know when yet..." but i too am afraid they'll be like "ok well we have an opening for surgery next week"
Jessica O.
on 4/1/09 5:29 am - Grafton, MA
I could probably give you ladies some insight on the whole process.  My surgery was done by Dr. Czerniach on 3/24/08.  I started the whole process with the Orientation meeting, Surgical information meeting back in 7/2007 or 8/2007.  My intake appt with Dr. Gitkind was on 9/17/07.  I was very lucky as to get a soon appt with the nutritionist (there must have been a cancelation by someone).  I saw her on 9/19/07, just 2 days later.  I saw the behavioralist on 10/24/07. 
My pre-surgical skills group classes were from 11/27/07-12/18/07.  I saw the behavioralist for the last time on 12/19/07, and then had my consult with the surgeon on 1/29/08.  I heard back about 1 week later with my surgery date of 3/24/09.  So, all together ... my whole process took about 6-8 months.  When you look at the pattern, it seems like they schedule each appt about 1 month apart.  I did luck out a few times though getting quick appts, probably because someone canceled.  I wish you both luck with your upcoming surgeries.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views