Hi, I just joined recently, never posted.....

surmisez
on 3/22/09 3:42 am - Worcester, MA
I've been going through the program at UMass in Worcester.  I just met my surgeon on 03.10.09.

I just noticed, a few minutes ago, that my husband put some mail on my desk.  One is an authorization from my insurance company, dated 03.20.09, for inpatient services from 04.06.09 to 04.09.09.

Sooo, I'm assuming that this is the authorization for my GP surgery -- I haven't heard from the doctor yet, but they probably received their copy yesterday as well.

Since 11.08, this surgery has been an abstract thought, now it's real and I'm kinda nervous.  Someone else in my class saw their surgeon before me, and isn't scheduled until June.  So I was thinking I wouldn't be having surgery until then as well.

Right now, I'm especially nervous regarding the three weeks after surgery.  I am allergic to milk and milk protiens and don't know what I can use instead of Carnation Instant Breakfast.  Does anyone else here have this problem and if so, what did you use?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tina
jayner
on 3/22/09 5:51 am - Littleton, MA
hi,

I know several people with milk allergies. How do you do with soy milk. Run a search on "milk allergy" and you should find lots of information. Your nutritionist will be a great source of info.

good luck,

Jayne

surmisez
on 3/22/09 8:14 am - Worcester, MA
I do drink soy milk and have no problem with it -- love it and have been drinking it for about ten years.

However, I need an alternative for the Carnation Instant Breakfast powered drink mix.  Carnation is loaded with powered milk and milk proteins, all of which I'm allergic to.
Leila M.
on 3/22/09 8:31 am - MetroWest, MA
Hooray for your decision to a better life! 

Sounds ike an authorization letter to me.  Since it was just dated on Friday, I'm sure you will be hearing the  same information from your surgeon this week.

As for milk allergy, this will definitely be a subject to discuss with your nutritionist and surgeon.  Many drink soy milk and Lactaid.  The protein powders contain milk proteins in the form of whey proteins, which you may be the part of milk you are not be allergic to. 

I use Unjury, which you can order online at www.unjury.com  the owners are very knowledgeable about their products, and they have lots of neat tips on using Unjury

Keep me posted on your journey!

Leila
surmisez
on 3/22/09 11:49 am - Worcester, MA
I am allergic to whey and other milk proteins, which is why I'm nervous about what I'll be able to ingest for the three weeks following my surgery.

Thanks for the info on Unjury.  I will definately check it out.

And I will be sure you keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks again,
Tina
Sharon C.
on 3/23/09 10:15 am - Worcester, MA
Hi Tina,

I went through the UMass program also, Dr. Czerniach did my surgery....love him! Call the weight center and ask them to address your milk allergies with one of the nutritionists.  They are very helpful with everything I've ever wondered about and usually will give you an answer asap.

So excited for you as you start this process. Take it one step at a time and you'll do great.  The support groups are very helpful as well. One this week as a matter of fact, Thursday at 6!

Feel free to email me if I can help with any ? you may have about the UMass program and what to expect.

Sharon

( Sorry old pic, new & improved version coming soon :) )

Sharon
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views