behaviorist cleared me!

jdr1208
on 3/18/09 11:55 pm - Worcester, MA
so yesterday was my last behaviorist apt before I see the surgeon. yesterday morning I got on the scale and it told me I gained a lb. I was all ok I am not getting approved, I was supposed to lose 5% of my body weight and I've only dropped like 7lbs so far. So I went in got weighed, it jumped around and she took the lowest weight. But even the highest was lower than my scale at home said. So I actually lost a lb not gained. But I still wasn't at my 5%. So I went in and talked to her about all my new found habits, but unfortunately they’re all still really new so I didn't know if that would help my case. After an hour she cleared me for surgery!!!!! However… and this is a big one, before I can be approved by the surgeon, or even see the surgeon, they want me to get a note from my pcp saying my heartburn is better and I don't have sleep apnea, see when I first started the process I wrote down everything that I was concerned I may have been suffering with so I wouldn't have any complications at all, and my husband said he felt like I was snoring really loud and stopping breathing in my sleep. Now if I do have sleep apnea it would help me get approved by insurance, however, the test requires a sleep study, and personally I don't know if I can take any more time off work. So I'm stuck, I don't know what to do, I can take the sleep study which would be a huge pain in the butt (plus i have no idea what it entails) and its possible to delay my surgery significantly, however if I do have it, its almost a guarantee on the insurance approval, no worrying about what if I don't get approved. Or I can beg my pcp to write me a note saying I don't have it, speed up the process, not take any more time off work that I don't need to, still most likely get approved but there's a possibility I wont, and have the surgery in probably may or June absolute worst case scenario July. sorry for the novel, thats where i stand right now, super excited but dont know what to do about the sleep test. hmm...
jayner
on 3/19/09 12:37 am - Littleton, MA

hi,

I had a sleep study about three years ago - not associated with my RNY process. I went to the center in the evening, got hooked up, slept all night, woke up early, showered, dressed and went directly to work.

If you have sleep apnea, it is important to know. I believe it affects how anesthesia is administered.

I had the test because I was waking up still very tired. The doctors were certain that I had sleep apnea. (I think because of my size.) It tuned out to be restless leg syndrome.

good luck,

Jayne

jb55
on 3/20/09 1:03 am
Hi! Jayne is absolutely right – make the appointment at a sleep clinic. I too had to be tested for sleep apnea due to extreme fatigue and load snoring. I had to spend two nights at the clinic, but they were both weekend nights so it did not interfere with work. The clinic did have showers, however, for those who do need to go directly to work. The diagnosis for me was severe sleep apnea, which can be very dangerous to one’s health. I was given a CPAP machine, which I have used every night until about a month ago. With a thirty pound post surgery weight loss, I no longer need the CPAP at night. Sleep apnea can affect anesthesia, so you should be tested before surgery. I brought the CPAP with me to the hospital, and it was hooked up to the oxygen in my room. Hope this helps. Joan
RazzyRobyn
on 3/20/09 3:02 am - West Boylston, MA
I was tested for sleep apnea last fall and I was dianosed with it. I have a CPAP machine that I use every night. It's important to get this cleared up prior to suregery.. so make sure you get checked out.  The sleep lab here in Worcester I went to had the most comfortable bed and they had showers. (It's like a little hotel room with your own bathroom and shower, TV too!) So you can be there all night and then get up, shower and go to work.

The sleep study is nothing to worry about, the worst part is all the wires that you are hooked up to... other than that you just sleep... or try to sleep.  :)  You will do great!  The UMASS sleep center staff on Prescott Street here in Worcester were AWESOME!

I still have not heard from the surgeon's office, it's been just over 2 weeks since I was cleared by my behaviorsit. I am hoping to have surgery at the end of June. Who knows... I am starting to feel like it's never going to happen. I have been at this so long.

Keep me posted  :)

Robyn
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

jdr1208
on 3/20/09 3:48 am - Worcester, MA
hey robyn, ive actually been wondering why i havent seen you on here i was all "she totally got called in early!" let me know how long it takes for you. linda told me on wednesday that once i get the sleep apnea thing cleared up (which frankly im not even sure i have it, and with an ill husband im worried about leaving the baby home with him for that long) she said to expect 6-8 weeks all together including surgeon appt and surgery. she told me best case scenario may worst case july. i would love to have it sooner than later. the summer months are very busy at work for me! who is your surgeon? i think i have dr gitkind.
thank you, all of you for your responses and help. i put a call into my pcp today to see what she wanted to do.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views