Any Tufts Patients Here?

Hi there -- I had my first consult yesterday and it was great.  I was given an individual treatment plan that did not require their "immerson day."  Has this happened to anyone else?  I got the impression at the patient info session that everyone went through this!

I'm not complaining, just curious.

Thanks! 
jazzyone30
on 3/19/09 10:23 am
Hiya ... we accually have talked before .. what do you mean by immerson day.... what type of surgery are thinking of doing... ?? i have no complaints about tuffts or their staff... they are all wonderful and there for you when you need them... :) 

lee77
on 3/20/09 12:26 pm - MA
I went through  the immersion day and it was quite helpful and informative....not sure why you were not recommended for it...if you are concerned about it ask your psychologist. Who do you have? I have been so pleased with Dr. Greenburg.  I love the Tufts program...it is the best around from what I hear.  I was just banded on Monday.  Dr. KIm is amazing....I highly recommend her if you can chose your surgeon....she is great!  Good luck and let me know if I can be of more help!

9cc's in 11cc REALIZE Band. 5 fills, 1 unfill    
UPNDOWN
on 3/22/09 8:06 am
Hi 

I just started my process with Tufts Medical center, I am just a little curious to what the 'Immersion day" consist of. I was told  that i would have to do a 5 week behavioral program when i faxed over my pelimanary application and that there would be a $250 program fee, but when I had my consult with Dr Stiles she stated that i would need to attend an immersion informational session, and my out of pocket expense should just be my co-pay. Now I'm quite confused. When I booked my appointment with Dr Greenburg I asked the Admin assistant what about the 5 week behavioral program she then ask did the doctor say she wanted you to attend those session i am just a bit confused, i thought it was mandatory for all enrolled in the surgical weight loss program to sign up for that program... I am extremely excited to begin this journey any info would be helpful

olmstead
on 3/23/09 3:31 am
I had my surgery on Feb 24 and it was one of the best things that I have ever done. 

Tufts has a few programs that you must go thru before surgery.  Meeting with dr Greenberg is one of them but there are some lectures that you need to attend to get the full information that you need to make an informed decision.  Its not too inconvenient if you schedule attending those meeting after the behavioral class or after you meetings with the groups.  They are definitely worth attending.

BCBS doesnt requie a program but CIGNA does.  In any case the Tufts program is mandatory and is a good idea no matter what insurance company that youre with.  Good luck with youre surgery.  Mine took me from 358 lbs to 311 today!  Its amazing in the first few weeks and becomes more consistant from there forward.  Good luck.

TJ
SilentlyWeeping623
on 3/23/09 11:10 am - MA
Just a specific reply to UPNDOWN's question:

You are responsible for all copayments.

The $250 fee that the admin staff told you about is above and beyond insurance. It is due (I think) half at your immersion day/ meeting with the psych....then the other half the day of surgery.

I paid it all on my immersion day, so I cant really remember exactly how the payments go, but for your visits with the dr.'s you pay your normal copay. That $250 is a non insurance covered fee that is over and above.

I think they were making changes to it as I joined the Tufts program (i.e. it went from $500 to $250) so I am not sure if the payment procedure is the same, but I hope this info helps a little!

Thanks!!

Silently Weeping
242/226/145/140
Dr Sunny Shah -Tufts NEMC Boston MA
RNY ~Surg Date 4/27/09

dragonfly777
on 4/4/09 11:37 pm
Hi,

I am going through tufts too. Its a bit hard if you don't live too close to the city. I figured out after my first visit via train that it is easier to just drive in and either pay to park or at the lot or get there early and hope to find a spot on the street at the meter.

I too had the $250 program fee, plus every visit there is a $15 copay through my Tufts Insurance plan. There will be a surgery copay as well according to my plan.  I met with Dr Shikora 10 days or so ago and the did talk about this is a lifetime committment and that you have to go to the hospital 2x a year for the rest of your life.  I thikn its great how Tufts keeps you accountable with their programs and classes.  I wouldn't want to go through all of this only to fail.
eyezchu22
on 7/19/09 2:41 pm
Hi, I will soon go for the immersion day too and wanted to know How long from then is your surgery date?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views